Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hotmail deal, again

Beans

The Hotmail deal, again

I know the Hotmail deal has been discussed previously and marked [SOLVED] but in my case it remains unsolved, and I need to add Facebook to the issue list.

Hotmail does not work when you approach it with a fully updated Ubuntu machine. It is established that MS changed Hotmail recently and sniffers are unfriendly to Ubuntu. All previously suggested fixes involving useragent adjustments, etc., have not worked. Hotmail won't download to Email apps. Can't get it to work. Facebook is the same way.

I am trying to change from Windows XP to Ubuntu, but members of my household addicted to their Hotmail and Facebook are growing more restless and impatient by the day.

Here's what I have noticed that has not been addressed: I downloaded Intrepid in October when it was released and installed it on a machine I built at Christmas. When it was first installed these websites WORKED. When the system downloaded updates in Ubuntu and Firefox they no longer worked.

As a test I booted the computer with the CD (sans updates), and Hotmail and Facebook WORKED. Boot again from the installed, updated program and they don't work.

Same is true on my laptop. When I installed Hardy last fall everything worked perfectly. After it picked up updates they didn't.

I know MS is partly to blame, but I have the feeling something has changed with updates in Ubuntu. But being a newbie I have no way of knowing what or how to remove the offending file.

I have seen no discussion on this and would covet comment from experienced folks. I really don't want to return to Windows but may be forced to just to keep peace. HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: The Hotmail deal, again

You say you've been having problems with Facebook too? It sounds like we are pretty much in the same place as far as the OS goes (8.10) and I have not noticed any problems with Facebook (I check a few times a day).

If you have a lot of bookmarks, I would back your bookmarks up somewhere safe and reinstall Firefox. It seems like it may just be something happend in the install of the updates that did this, seeing as this sounds like a pretty isolated incident. Did you do anything else besides update in the time between it working and not working?

EDIT: I'll look at hotmail tonight. I'm on my Windoze work pc.

EDIT 2: Can you post a link to the previous hotmail thread so I don't tell you to do things you already did? Thanks!
    Last edited by Raynman37; January 7th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

you will have to edit this for your browser, but it worked for me:
    http://wvarner.blogspot.com/2008/11/...l-stopped.html
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I just found something similar:

Tetsuo__Shima wrote on 2008-11-17: (permalink)

Hello!

I had this problem with hotmail and after searching some forums I was able to fix it.
    +++++ Hotmail recognizes Firefox now. +++++++

You have to do the following in Firefox.

In the adress bar type: About:config

Accept the terms.

Then search for: USERAGENT
    In the list that appears search for:

general.useragent.vendor predetermined Chain Ubuntu

Change the word: Ubuntu for: Firefox
    It should read:

general.useragent.vendor predetermined Chain Firefox

and to save you close the tab then in file you select QUIT
    This way the change is saved in Firefox 3.0.3

And works well under Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10

To verify that the change worked I rebooted the computer several times and no problem what so ever, hopefully it will work for anyone with this little problem.

In any case thank you for your time!!
    Hope that you have a great weekend!!!

Tetsuo

Beans

I've done the useragent routine. No luck. In fact, when I boot from the CD and check useragent it discloses Ubuntu and 8.10 and it works fine. This is not the useragent causing this. It is something else.

This is happening on two machines, one with Intrepid and one with Hardy.

Funny thing, I am now on my machine at the office with an old HD plugged in (experiment) with Intrepid, not fully updated. Hotmail and Facebook working fine. Useragent reports Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Circuit Rider; January 7th, 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Correct a typing error

Beans
    Distro

Did you try both my and Gettinoriginal's useragent fixes, because they are similar but different. Gettinoriginal's may be a little more targeted for the Hotmail fix, so you may have some luck with it.

Beans

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

The deal is that useragent is identical in the unupdated CD and the updated installed program, except that there is an added "Firefox.extra" line that I cannot remove. Ubuntu shows up in both, and one works. That's why I don't really think it is a useragent issue. I think it is an update issue. I just don't know how to find and fix it.
    Last edited by Circuit Rider; January 7th, 2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Circuit Rider View Post
    Hotmail does not work when you approach it with a fully updated Ubuntu machine.
    I have fully updated 8.04 machine at home and used it late last night to access both Hotmail and Facebook without any problems at all. While problems did exist for a while with Hotmail (it's owned by the kids in Redmond), I've never had a problem using Facebook. I'm guessing the problem is more with your browser than anything else.

I'd back up my bookmarks and uninstall/reinstall Firefox (if that's what you're using)... and if it isn't what you're using, you should be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't know if you've already tried this or not, but this is what fixed it for me. It's a user-agent fix that doesn't require any editing of about:config

Install user-agent switcher and create a new entry. Fill it out thusly:

Description: Firefox 3.x (WinXP)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
    App name: Mozilla Firefox
    App Version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
    Platform: Win32
    Vendor: Firefox
    Vendor Sub: {leave blank}
    It fixes hotmail. I haven't had any problems with facebook yet and I can't help you there.
    Last edited by stoogiebuncho; January 7th, 2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Thank you all for trying to help. I have tried ALL the useragent fixes and NONE work. I have not uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, which I will try tonight before putting XP back on.

The problem:
    • Boot computer from installed, updated Ubuntu: Hotmail does not work.
      Boot computer from unupdated CD: Hotmail works

On BOTH the useragent info is the SAME. It cannot be a useragent issue. It has to be an issue with an Ubuntu update or a Firefox update.

I have also tried Opera and all the other browsers I can download. None of them work with Hotmail, either, leading me to believe there is an Ubuntu issue. I don't know how to run that down.

Facebook is a pain anyway you go because it is so SLOW, but the girls like it.

Thanks again. We'll keep plugging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast