Thread: GnuPG: where's my private PGP key

Beans

GnuPG: where's my private PGP key

Since my ubuntu isn't booting at the moment and I don't seem to find a solution to this I'm thinking about reinstalling it. Unfortunately I forgot to backup my private PGP key which I used with GnuPG and Enigmail etc. Is there a way to recover it (I know all my passwords/-phrases)?

Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GnuPG: where's my private PGP key

if you can boot from a live cd, you can mount the partition containing your home directory and then back up the .gnupg directory from your home directory, then after you reinstall you can just restore the backed up .gnupg

Beans

There seems to be no .gnupg in the home directory. Is there any other place the date could be saved? (And yes I know how to find the hidden folders )

Beans
    Hidden!

strange, i have no idea where else it could be. perhaps try searching for a file called secring.gpg within your home directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Nevermind. I should read first!

Beans

I'm not sure what to think about it, but i found a secring.pgp in /etc/apt/ no idea why there is one in that directory. But I'm going to give it a go ...

Beans
    Hidden!

/etc/apt/secring.gpg is most probably empty and the other .gpg files in /etc/apt contain public keys for the repositories and are used by *apt* to verify the keys used to sign packages. your personal keys will be somewhere in your home directory.

I just googled 'enigmail gpg' and found this: http://enigmail.mozdev.org/documenta...tup.php#backup
    If you could boot your normal ubuntu installation you could run
    Code:
    gpg --version
    and look for a line starting with
    Code:
    Home:
    in the output which would indicate where your key files are located.

Since you can not boot normally the only solution is still to find a secring.pgp (which is the file containing your private key) somewhere in your home directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jsroth View Post
    There seems to be no .gnupg in the home directory. Is there any other place the date could be saved? (And yes I know how to find the hidden folders )
    Did you look in the home directory of the live cd or on your computer? (ie... Did you mount the hard drive partition?)

Just checking.

Beans

I did look in the mounted directory ... but that was a good idea

And I couldn't find the secring.pgp anywhere in the home directory, so I revoked my key and got a new one, annoying but ... happens.

Thanks for all your help!