Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Email

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Interesting Email

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hogan View Post
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as mekgp: though I'm just east of Dodge, my 6 nights-a-week work schedule makes me a no go for anything farther away than Great Bend or Pratt.

The biggest problem I've come across is inertia. People around me tend to see - and use - computers as tools. To use one guys analogy, "You're showing me a socket set, when all I'll ever need is a wrench"; even pointing to the lower cost of ownership going forward I haven't been able to make a strong enough case to get the local farmers attention. I know it goes back to Bug #1, but has anybody else had any luck in converting this pragmatic population base?

(Unfortunately, my expertise lies far outside of the BugJam realm; a lowly troubleshooter and not a programmer am I )
    I feel ya dude, on both parts. I never have created a bug myself, don't really know why. But I guess now is as good a time as any to learn.

As far as Bug #1 I just don't know. But I'll say this: a lot of more important, smart, and wealthy people are working on this. I really don't harbor any delusions that we in the Kansas LoCo could convert the state. But we can do a little to help, and if nothing more, give people that use Linux here somewhere to start helping. After all, a community member is worth more than $50 by PayPal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Greetings from the OTHER middle of nowhere Dennis!

I've a huge mix of online associates that use Linux, MacOX, BSD...etc etc etc. Pretty well rounded bunch. Locally, hmmm, not much.
    Biggest obstacle to Linux usage is off the shelf equipment bloated with Windows and company! They'd not see other OS's until the "off the shelf" equipment failed and were made to realize Windows ain't the only game in town...
    If I do any tech work on someones machine. I tend to do what makes them comfortable. If they've an inclination to look outside the MS realm...I give them a guided tour. Otherwise, I get annoyed at the "deer-in-the-headlights" look you receive from someone not interested....

We as users of the "other-side" only can keep a solid alternative to what comes off the shelf and bring people onboard who "want" to learn, no?
    Linux Rookie!... Ubuntu 10.04 & WinXP...Win2K....spread among too many machines!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I saw that. I think its a great idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12