Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do "advanced" distros make advanced tasks easier?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Do "advanced" distros make advanced tasks easier?

There are distros geared toward "advanced" users. Do these distros actually make advanced tasks easier, or should I just continue to do my hacking on Ubuntu?
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Do "advanced" distros make advanced tasks easier?

No, you can do just as much with Ubuntu.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

'Advanced' distros generally don't make things easier, but rather just make things more straightforward and don't try to hide the workings of the system from the user.

So yes, continue hacking away at Ubuntu. Eventually, when you know how Linux distros actually work, you'll be able to understand the differences between the distros. A few 'advanced' distros are genuinely different in one way or another, but most distros are surprisingly similar in most respects.

Bob

Beans
    Hidden!

For the end user, a difference in DE is a lot bigger than the difference in distro. Once you have the thing installed, knowing what commands install/uninstall/upgrade is pretty much the only way you'll see the differences.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, advanced distros absolutely make advanced tasks easier.
    Making a cleanly installable package on Ubuntu, or compiling the entire system according to predefined components like those dictated by use flags, for instance, would be harder than it would be on Arch or Gentoo, respectively.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..

Beans

I'd say yes. I found Pardus a very difficult distro because the distro-specific GUI tools got in the way of doing things the manual, CLI way.

It's definitely possible to do anything with Ubuntu, but it sometimes requires going against the way the distro was designed, which is harder than starting from a blank slate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I'd say yes. I found Pardus a very difficult distro because the distro-specific GUI tools got in the way of doing things the manual, CLI way.
    And with that said, ViM FTW.

Beans

One thing I like about "advanced" distros is that they generally don't have separate packages for the development headers and libraries. In Debian/Ubuntu for example, you have to make sure you have the right *-dev packages installed. That's not necessarily difficult (build-dep and all that), but I'd rather not be bothered with it.

If you like hacking on Ubuntu, I would recommend trying some of the "advanced" distributions just to see if you like their approach better. You'll almost certainly learn some new tricks.
    Last edited by RedSquirrel; January 7th, 2009 at 04:44 AM. Reason: corrected sloppy wording

Beans

If you want to strip down your OS and build it to your liking, using an "advanced" distro has two advantages.

1) Usually you can build it your way the first time, and not worry about un-setting defaults.

2) Many "easy" distros try to automatically configure things for you, and can over-write your own custom configurations (suse is notorious for this, but others, including ubuntu, will do it from time to time).
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    If you like hacking on Ubuntu, I would recommend trying some of the "advanced" distributions just to see if you like their approach better. You'll almost certainly learn some new tricks.
    +1

I don't know about "easier", as this is subjective, but "advanced" distributions do stay out of the user's way more than something like Ubuntu, Mandriva, or openSUSE.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast