Thread: Is it OK to use meierfra's boot_info_script.txt bash script in the forums?

Beans

Is it OK to use meierfra's boot_info_script.txt bash script in the forums?

Hello Ubuntu Forum Moderators and Staff,

As you might all ready be aware of, a few of us have been using a script in the forums within the last few weeks written by forum meierfra that gives lots of info about one's system related to booting. I think that the script has all ready proven to be an immensely useful tool for troubleshooting booting problems, so I'm grateful that forum member meierfra took the time and effort necessary to create it. But I think that I might not have taken the best approach when it comes to using the script in the forums; currently meierfra keeps the most up-to-date copy of the script at this website, so I have been asking users to run the script by doing:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop && wget 'http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu_grub/boot_info_script.txt' && sudo bash boot_info_script.txt
    But today both drubin and Tim Sharitt made the point in this thread that I or meierfra could change the content of that script at any time to be malicious. Although I can understand drubin's and Tim Sharritt's point of view, I think meierfra has proven to be a trustworthy member of this community. I'm hoping that you (the moderators and staff) will allow us to continue using the script in the forums, and if so, what is the best way to go about it? Also, I apologize for not first asking permission to use the script in the forums, but in my enthusiasm to use the script I didn't think of that at the time. So if it is OK with you for us to keep using the script, what is the best way to go about it? Thank you for your time and guidance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is it OK to use meierfra's boot_info_script.txt bash script in the forums?

Beans

The staff have made some valid points in this thread , http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1032236

I think for quality control and governance the suggestions made by the staff should be followed up.

As with all such scripts a warning should be provided.
    This account is not active.

Beans

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused by your reply KiwiNZ; am I supposed to be able to access that link? Currently I don't have permission to do so. Did all of you come to a final decision of how you want us to handle using the script in the forums? If so, please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to consider this matter.

Beans

I have good news: the script is now hosted at sourceforge.net. You can access the project page at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

So I'm hoping that will be OK with the moderators/staff, but please let me know if you want us to take any further steps in order to use the script in the forums.