Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPod Nano Mount Problem...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: iPod Nano Mount Problem...

Still will not mount. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Heliophion; January 7th, 2009 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I still havent found the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Your help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try the same command with fat32 instead of vfat. Sorry, I can't remember what Mount likes to call Fat32.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That doesnt do it either. Mount does call it 'vfat'. I'm wishing I would have stayed away from that preferences tab.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Still can't get my iPod to mount. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Red face Re: iPod Nano Mount Problem...

Holy cow, I just did the same thing myself...the exact same thing. I came here hoping to find the solution and am left without answers. I will continue to look...

Beans

ouch you guys still haven't found a solution?

after the mount command goes wrong, have you tried:
    Code:
    dmesg
    The last line or two should have *something* useful... For me, it was the "force" option that I had in my /etc/fstab file. I put this line is fstab:
    Code:
    #ipod
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/5BF7-FC30 /media/ipod vfat user,rw,noauto	 0	1
    To get the uuid, do
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    and look for the one with the device name that matches up with your ipod. For me, it's /dev/sdf2, but yours will be different. I prefer to use the uuid because it shouldn't change unless I reformat the ipod. After putting that in fstab, I was able to mount the ipod... now to figure out why I can't write to it...

Anyway, was searching for help on an ipod problem and found this thread. Don't know if I'm any help or not, but I feel bad that you've been working at it so long.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

oh yeah, sorry I did find a solution. I had to find someone who actually had Windows installed on their computer. After gaining access, I installed iTunes and then set the iPod to factory defaults. That cleared out the improper volume name and then it automagically mounted again in Intrepid. Learned a good lesson though, don't attempt to change the volume name in Nautilus!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frijolie View Post
    oh yeah, sorry I did find a solution. I had to find someone who actually had Windows installed on their computer. After gaining access, I installed iTunes and then set the iPod to factory defaults. That cleared out the improper volume name and then it automagically mounted again in Intrepid. Learned a good lesson though, don't attempt to change the volume name in Nautilus!
    Ah yes, that's similar to the first problem I had with my ipod. My mother has a Mac and she went all crazy and bought an iPhone so she didn't need her Nano anymore and foisted it on me. As much as I dislike Apple and don't need an ipod, I thought it'd be rude to not use it.

(warning sob story to follow, cue world's tiniest violin)
    So, after a few hours of banging my head on the wall trying to get it to mount or write or anything, I figured out the problem and reformatted it in Windows, and then it wouldn't mount again. So I fixed that, then I couldn't write to it, and now gtkpod doesn't seem to be able to recognize .oga files. So I renamed them all to .ogg files, which gtkpod still couldn't transfer for some reason, and now Exaile lost all my ratings because it doesn't tag the files, it saves them in the db and even renaming them back to .oga didn't help. So I have an ipod that still doesn't and probably never will have any music on it, and lost data for my actual music collection, and many hours of wasted time.

So... yeah, that's my rant. This ipod has led me down a road of disappointment and frustration. To say that it's only partially the ipod's fault might be true, but if something has to be blamed for my misfortune and woe, it might as well be the inanimate object made by and locked down by the company that I already hate...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12