Thread: Using phone as modem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Using phone as modem

I'm wanting to use my Nokia 6555 phone as a wireless access point on Ubuntu. I've checked and made sure that the phone works for other operating systems (It works on Vista and XP), but I can't get it to work on Ubuntu. I'm on Ubuntu 8.04.

I have used some of the other threads in this forum of the same subject to try and get my phone working, but nothing suggested there has worked for me. I edited my /etc/wvdial.conf file to the suggested settings, and ran sudo wvdial to connect to my phone over USB.

It connects just fine to the phone and even suggests that I've connected to the remote DNS addresses, trying to tell me that it's connected, but I have no internet whatsoever. I can't even ping the IP addresses that the phone is telling me are the access points to which I'm connected. I have to run wvdial with sudo as it doesn't give me the same results without sudo.

Can anyone help me get this configured? I would really like to be able to use the internet at home over my phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Using phone as modem

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Beans

Re: Using phone as modem

I am new to ubuntu and as much as I like I may have to give up on it if I cant get my sprint lg 260 phone to connect as a modem..ive been trying for days..i can use it in mac os x with no problems and in xp but this trying to get it to work in ubuntu is going to drive me stark raving mad..any suggestions?