Thread: [SOLVED] How long does it takes to restore factory settings with Vista?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[SOLVED] How long does it takes to restore factory settings with Vista?

My laptop came with Vista Home Premium but no DVD, I want to make a copy of it to have it around just by the case. Now, for that I decided to restore to factory settings, but there has been over 45 min and it's still "initializing", and the bar in 0%.

How long does it takes??
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans

Re: How long does it takes to restore factory settings with Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by arashiko28 View Post
    My laptop came with Vista Home Premium but no DVD, I want to make a copy of it to have it around just by the case. Now, for that I decided to restore to factory settings, but there has been over 45 min and it's still "initializing", and the bar in 0%.

How long does it takes??
    When I did a restore point, that took over 10 minutes. Completely restoring to factory settings would probably take longer. There wasn't a % bar for me. I just had that Knight Rider eyeball going, with no other signs of life and then it just popped up and everything was good. You could email M$ but from what I've seen your computers CPU would overheat before they got back to you.

I would advise to anyone reading this that if your computer didn't come with a disk you should make a restore disk first thing. If it's been a while you can still make one, but it won't do you any good to try to do it after disaster hits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

no restore partition either? If the worst would happen you could always download your version of vista and use your key on the back of your laptop....

btw on my laptop (2.5GHz core2 duo centrino) restoring from the restore partition would take about 20mins from the dvd 1hour

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah... well... there was an unfortunate error, I thought it was connected but the multi plug was of, so after an hour and a half, it drained the battery and turned off. As I wasn't around didn't realized, when I checked, the vista partition was blank and the one key recovery system couldn't restore again, but the hidden partition it's untouched. Anyway, I already fresh installed Ubuntu, that was the idea after all. Thanks, anyway. :d
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans

takes me 2 hours on vista HB for a complete oob reinsytall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [SOLVED] How long does it takes to restore factory settings with Vista?

My Acer laptop is over a year old and I attempted to burn restore disc the day I bought it. Guess what? I got errors on the disc and I could not burn more restore disc either. I called Acer, told them my problem and they sent me 2 restore disc ready to use if needed.

I ended up installing Kiwi/Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on my Acer laptop because Vista was terribly slow. Prior to installing Kiwi/Ubuntu, in Vista I disabled Aero, defrag, and several other services on my Acer and replaced them with as many freeware programs as I could find. This increased the usability of the Acer, but I felt it was not right that I had to disable so much. My tweaks made my Acer faster, but it was still somewhat slow. The Kiwi/Ubuntu 8.04 LTS install took care of all the Vista problems...