Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's start planning a Jaunty release party for the Ubuntu S.C. (South Carolina) LoCo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Let's start planning a Jaunty release party for the Ubuntu S.C. (South Carolina) LoCo

Folks - our LoCo seems to be one of the lesser active LoCo's out there, and I'd like to stir things up. There's 109 days until Jaunty Jackalope is released. Let's plan a release party.

I'm proposing that those in the Myrtle Beach area get together Saturday April 25th at Handley's Pub in the Carolina Forest area of Myrtle Beach. For HGTC and Coastal students and any others that don't know where Handley's is, it's in the same area as Kroger's. Continue on the road like you're going to Zaxby's and it'll be beside Surf's Up on your left.

I realize that not everyone is in the Myrtle Beach area. I don't know if others wish to travel for this party or prefer to have release parties local to them. Something that gets us together off-line is good though.

All in favor? Any opposed?

If people have any other ideas, (install fests, etc.) I'm open to those as well.
    Last edited by xarquid; February 25th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
    I support my bad habits with the money I save using open source software.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Let's start planning a Jaunty release party

Sounds like a good plan. I highly doubt I weill be able to get there, but we could always have more than one, like an upstate one a coastal one and a Columbia one. If any one is interested DO reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by recluse2 View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. I highly doubt I weill be able to get there, but we could always have more than one, like an upstate one a coastal one and a Columbia one. If any one is interested DO reply.
    Okay - so we're talking a release party in Myrtle at Handley's and where else?

I'll do my best to coordinate the one here, but it IS my first release party.
    I support my bad habits with the money I save using open source software.

Beans

I would be willing to go as well just give us a update as to what we are doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

an upstate one sounds good - maybe the uclug people will throw one

Beans

I stopped in to see what 9.10 was going to be called... I'm thinking of suggesting to my fiancee that she wait for it (because I'm so excited about the Ext4 file system, but maybe the second release and when it's the default.) I'll keep calling it Krusty Klown until I get better information.

But, party sounds good. The Village Pourhouse in New York City would probably do one... I'm willing to do a little work on it if other people will, too. The 25th of April won't work for me, but the 24th or 23rd would.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    You Rock and You Rule!
    Fedora 15
    Ubuntu SC Team Leader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    an upstate one sounds good - maybe the uclug people will throw one
    As I ran into this the other day is anyone from the uclug in our group. I will be going by there the next time they meet which is on Feb 10 I think it is.
    Last edited by omegadoom; January 28th, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Let's start planning a Jaunty release party

Last edited by jcsteele; February 20th, 2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: privacy

Beans

Question Re: Let's start planning a Jaunty release party

A release plan/party should be coordinated for all releases in the future.

Please follow jcsteele's lead on this. The best option for this is of course local party's with our members to maximize impact (rather than traveling):

- One for the Upstate area (Greenville, SC is an ideal choice or nearby)
    - One for the Myrtle Beach area
    - One for the Charleston area
    - One for the Columbia area
    - One for the Spartanburg area (Reasoning: I know this is considered "upstate area" BUT if folks can not make it to Greenville, as this is seen as a college town outside of Charleston and Columbia areas, it would be good to have exposure nearby at a Starbucks or a bar...)

Anywhere else that I'm leaving out?

And, of course, one online that connects all three is ideal. This gives a sense of community no matter the location. Whether this is through IRC, Twitter or a variety of communication channels it would be good to coordinate this in advance. I can help on this front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast