Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Is this possible with ubuntu 11.1? I'm new to all of this so I apologize if this is a silly question.
    Last edited by DB1177; December 7th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

DB1177, there is no reason, in principle, why clustering will not work with Ubuntu 11.10. However, I'm currently running into difficulties getting it to work. I'm basing my set up on BigJimJams - UbuntuKerrighedClusterGuide created on 26/02/2009. The DHCP server appears to work but, it now appears to be called isc-dhcp-server rather than dhcp3-server. I appear to have set up the TFTP server, but, I'm not confident the bootable filesystem is correctly setup. I get some error messages when using:
    # debootstrap --arch i386 oneiric /nfsroot/kerrighed http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    Even so, the file system appears to be created in the /nfsroot/kerrighed directory. But, the node1 is not booting over the LAN from the filesystem on the head node.
    Last edited by magn0x; April 18th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magn0x View Post
    DB1177, there is no reason, in principle, why clustering will not work with Ubuntu 11.10. However, I'm currently running into difficulties getting it to work. I'm basing my set up on BigJimJams - UbuntuKerrighedClusterGuide created on 26/02/2009. The DHCP server appears to work but, it now appears to be called isc-dhcp-server rather than dhcp3-server. I appear to have set up the TFTP server, but, I'm not confident the bootable filesystem is correctly setup. I get some error messages when using:
    # debootstrap --arch i386 oneiric /nfsroot/kerrighed http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    Even so, the file system appears to be created in the /nfsroot/kerrighed directory. But, the node1 is not booting over the LAN from the filesystem on the head node.
    Hi, magn0x.

Have you monitored the DHCP server to see it it is responding?

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/daemon.log | fgrep DHCP
    HTH,

Tony.

Beans

Hi ajt,
    Thanks and Nice one; Even though ifconfig indicates there has been correct ip address allocation to eth0 node1 , I find 'No such file exists', so its back to the beginning for me. I need to think about this.
    kind regards,
    magn0x
    Last edited by magn0x; April 18th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magn0x View Post
    Hi ajt,
    Thanks and Nice one; Even though ifconfig indicates there has been correct ip address allocation to eth0 node1 , I find 'No such file exists', so its back to the beginning for me. I need to think about this.
    kind regards,
    magn0x
    Hi, magn0x.

The 'No such file exists' error suggests that you've not set up TFTP properly. Bear in mind that pxelinux.0 should be in:

Code:
    /var/lib/tftpboot/
    And your DHCP server config should be something like:

Code:
    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    	option routers 192.168.0.254;
    	filename "pxelinux.0";
    	option root-path "192.168.0.254:/var/lib/kerrighed/image";
    }

HTH,

Tony.

Beans

Question Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Hi Tony,

Yes the first error was LABEL in pxelinux.cfg/default was spelt LABLE.

Code:
    /var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 OK

But, I need to review DHCP server config which is more like;

Code:
    subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    option routers 192.168.2.1;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.2.255;
    }

group {
    filename "pxelinux.0";
    option root-path "192.168.2.1:/nfsroot/kerrighed";
    host magn0x1 {
    hardware ethernet nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn;
    fixed-address 192.168.2.101;
    }
    host magn0x2 {
    hardware ethernet yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy;
    fixed-address 192.168.2.102;
    }
    server-name "kerrighedserver";
    next-server 192.168.2.1;

}

-------------------------------

First node on booting reports:
    Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default OK
    No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
    boot:

Steve
    Last edited by magn0x; April 18th, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Node Report on Rebooting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Since this is the 'easy' thread

Has anyone tried a kerrighed node on Precise yet? This looks like it would be fun/frustrating to learn about, even between say a notebook and a desktop as an exercise. That's assuming you can use a commercial router (DD-WRT?) as the go-between. It'll be interesting to read back through the thread and see how it's done...

Beans

I've discovered that to set up the Ubuntu 11.10 image to be booted from the nfs server I require nfsbooted. This is not available in the Ubuntu repositories. It appears to have been in the Debian repositories at version (0.0.15) unstable, but, has since been removed. While it can still be found it appears to be a nightmare to run; requiring various prerequisites.

Has anyone any alternative suggestions to prepare the image for booting from the nfs server

NB The latest version of Kerrighed is 3.0.0 see http://www.kerrighed.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page.
    Since this is based on Linux 2.6.30 it may prove difficult to run on Ubuntu 11.10 (Linux 3.0.0-17-generic)
    Last edited by magn0x; April 24th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Beans

Angry Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Hey everyone,

I have been working on a project to get this cluster working on a virtual box. I have successfully completed a 32 bit version (ubuntu 8,04) of the project (see photo) and have moved onto a 64 bit version (ubuntu 9.04). For some reason however when I use the 64 bit kernel make from kerriged 3.0.0 all I get is a bunch of brightly colored pixels on screen (see photo). At first I thought It might have been caused by sloppy kernel patching on my part so I remade the kernel being careful to note any errors and such. But the problem still remains. Do any of you have an idea?
    I know that the server end is working because the node is receiving the kernel. I just don't know what's wrong with the kernel.
    server os = ubuntu 9.10
    node os (given by the server) = 9.04 with kerriged kernel

If the 64 bit works out I might put both up on sourceforge so people can finally have a ready out of the box cluster!

Pixaled 64 bit 9.04
    pixled_kerrighed_screen.png
    working 32bit 8.04
    32bit_kerrighed_cluster.png

Beans

Really? No one has any idea what's wrong with my 64 bit setup?

Bump.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast