Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Like Davo, i also need to install the drivers to have all of the computers on the network being able to work. i need the drivers for the DELL Optiplex 755 and 745 series computers, the nic's are:

Broadcom® 5754 Gigabit Ethernet LAN solution 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Intel® 82566DM Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000
    Broadcom 5721C1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E

How can i get these and integrate them into the kernel?

Cheers, Josh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by jbbjshlws View Post
    Hello!
    After many tests and re-installations (even since the last post!) i have been able to successfully get the top command to work. I am able to see the 3 processors (over 3 nodes) in one view. Kerrighed is not migrating the processes across to the other nodes though. i have a node setup with "top" running to view the processors on the network (where it is showing all 3 processors), and on another machine i am running hardinfo to bench test the system. When it is running you can see the node running hardinfo go up to 100% usage, but the other two processors in the cluster don't change there value (sitting around 0.3%~~).
    I have also tried john -test (apt-get install john), and crafty (apt-get install crafty) to test and they all have the same results as hardinfo.

So this brings me to two questions, does kerrighed speed up both multi-threaded and single-threaded applications?

and how can i migrate the tasks from one node to another? (i have tried
    Code:
    $ sudo krgcapset -d +CAN_MIGRATE
    and also
    Code:
    krgcapset -k  [pid] --effective +CAN_MIGRATE
    migrate [pid] [node_id]
    where i had the pid as hardinfo and the node_id as the node that it was running on (kerrighednode1)

So once again i am stuck with a cluster nearly working!!.

any ideas?
    Cheers
    Hi Josh, are those benchmark tests multi-process or just multi-threaded? Kerrighed only migrates processes to other nodes and has no support for migrating threads at the moment. If you run krgcapset -s does it show that the inheritable and effective sets have the CAN_MIGRATE option? An easy way to test if kerrighed is working is to write a simple C program that is an infinite loop and spawn it the same time as you have cores. If every core in your cluster is at 100% then you know it works!

Beans

Hello Bigjimjams,

Hi Josh, are those benchmark tests multi-process or just multi-threaded? Kerrighed only migrates processes to other nodes and has no support for migrating threads at the moment. If you run krgcapset -s does it show that the inheritable and effective sets have the CAN_MIGRATE option? An easy way to test if kerrighed is working is to write a simple C program that is an infinite loop and spawn it the same time as you have cores. If every core in your cluster is at 100% then you know it works!
    when i run krgcapset -s it does show "CAN_MIGRATE" under "Inheritable Effective Capabilities: 03

I made an infinite loop in a sh script (not sure how to do it in c) and it did not migrate. those bench test programs to my knowledge have multi-threaded support, not sure about multi-process. what is everyone else running on there clusters? surely i could test with the same application.

Do you get an advantage when you use normal (aka written by other people with no intention to run on a cluster, eg video encoding etc) Single-threaded applications with the kerrighed cluster?

so i have a list of cpu's in top, they dont migrate tasks, and everything seems setup correctly, (but clearly isn't) whats the next attack?

Cheers,
    Joshua

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Try it with yes. yes is a program that comes with Linux, and with no arguments brings the CPU usage up to 100%. try running two instances of yes, and see if they migrate (two CPU's should be at 100%). If it doesn't try manually migrating them.
    Last edited by nerdopolis; May 10th, 2009 at 03:52 PM.

Beans

Hello nerdopolis, i have tried using yes, i filled half a screen with text and i was only able to get a single cpu to reach a maximum of 3.7% usage, even with several instances of it running. how were you able to have it reach 100% (the computers i am testing on are around 2.4ghz machines) . thanks for the dhcp code, this really helped....now silly me i still need the mac addresses for the wol anyway!

Do you get an advantage when you use normal (aka written by other people with no intention to run on a cluster, eg video encoding etc) Single-threaded applications with the kerrighed cluster?

Also I am still unsure how to integrate the:
    Broadcom® 5754 Gigabit Ethernet LAN solution 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Intel® 82566DM Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000
    Broadcom® 5721C1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E
    Drivers into the kernel. How can i get these and integrate them into the kernel?

I am in the process of trying out the latest svn for kerrighed on a different machine. Can any one please verify that when they try to download it from
    Code:
    svn checkout svn://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/kerrighed/trunk
    it stops and they cannot get the full package, it comes up with an error:
    Code:
    '/SVNTrunk/kernel/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4' locked
    although the file is not locked, and i have ran cleanup and tried unlocking it, and tried this on a couple of machines and have had the same result.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

wierd... try
    Code:
     yes > /dev/null
    I don't think single threaded application will be accelerated by a cluster. I don't think there is a way to run a single thread on two cpus. but you can multitask, one cpu can be loaded running the process and a second can be running your web browser or something.

And by the looks of it, threaded apps won't even benefit much until Kerrighed has thread migration. (but I am wondering if performance will increase if an application developer splits his program into multiple processess somehow)

in my home directory I made a folder /svn in my home directory, and ran your command. It worked on my box, maybe it was the SVN revision. Try redownloading in a new folder again, and see if it works.
    Last edited by nerdopolis; May 13th, 2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: I had offered to send the files here before untill I saw the 500mb size!

Beans

Hello nerdopolis,
    I am downloading the svn again, onto a different machine, in a different folder, so it should work, (hopefully,) it seems to have gotten further than last time.
    typing yes > /dev/null into a machine deffanatly brings a CPU to 100%

I can't test it on my cluster as currently when i boot them up, and type in
    Code:
    krgadm nodes status
    , it comes up with a blank list of no nodes (not even the one i am logged onto). I am thinking this has something to do with possibly the need to reset a cluster session or maybe i am terminating the session in a weird way. it is not consistent.

Also the other issue i face is, when they do occasionally appear int he list, when i type in
    Code:
    krgadm cluster start
    then followed by
    Code:
    the computer that i run the command on freezes. all of the nodes in the cluster are not communicating and i think this could also have something to do with a session issue, is there a limit to how many nodes or the ip addresses of nodes across subnet's that could affect kerrigheds stability?

I was able to integrate the Broadcom drivers through the "make menuconfig" menu and ticking all of the drivers that were available and integrating them, they seem to be booting. I am still unsure how to integrate the Intel 82566DM Gigabit LAN drivers. they were not in the list.

Cheers,

Joshua

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In the menuconfig is there any option for something like Intel e1000 or something like that? because I think that card may fall under that category.

I wouldn't know what the maximum number of nodes is... on the Kerrighed web page it talks about a 110 node cluster though...
    http://www.kerrighed.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=606#606

When the nodes fail to appear in krgadm nodes status, can you ping them?

for your Kerrighed problems, all I can think of right now is to try a shut-down on all nodes, rebooting the master node, and then powering up the other nodes again.

EDIT: I almost forgot, did the SVN download successfully?
    Last edited by nerdopolis; May 16th, 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Beans

Hello nerdopolis,
    I have checked the menuconfig and i have got Intel(R) PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet support there, i had it checked as built-in, but it still does not work. I could not find Intel e1000 in the list at all.

I am able to ping the computer without a problem

Code:
    cluster@kerrighednode249:~$ krgadm nodes status

cluster@kerrighednode249:~$ ping 10.65.12.5
    PING 10.65.12.5 (10.65.12.5) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 10.65.12.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.202 ms
    64 bytes from 10.65.12.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.334 ms

--- 10.65.12.5 ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.202/0.268/0.334/0.066 ms
    cluster@kerrighednode249:~$
    You can see the result above when i type in krgadm nodes status, nothing...

The network is spread across 3 subnet's, i wouldn't think this would cause a problem, dhcp seems to be dealing out the files completely fine, but maybe i am wrong.

when i run:
    Code:
    cluster@kerrighednode249:~$ krgadm cluster poweroff
    cluster@kerrighednode249:~$
    the computer/computers do not turn off, also when i run the restart command they do not turn off. both of these commands used to restart the computers, and seem to work when there is nodes in that status list.

Not sure if this matters, but i have got my etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf file automatically assigning ip addresses, and my etc/hosts file set with a list of all of the ip addresses in the range and then an assigned name kerrighednode1 -kerrighednode500. clearly not all of these will be used at any one time, but if i didn't do this change in the hosts file, it got the server name assigned.

how do u define the master node?
    and how can u shut down just the master node? (or any single node)

I tried "krgadm nodes poweroff -n" followed by its ip address, name or id, but it didn't work.

Also have you tried updating your install to the latest svn? anything i should know before i proceed?

I am checking the svn now, the folder is 230.7 MB and has 23,221 files in it, it seemed to lock the computer while it was downloading not sure if that is the expected (i would think not..., please let me know if this is your result. I tried downloading it again to compare sizes, but i got the error
    Code:
    svn: Can't create directory 'trunk/kernel/include/asm-m32r/m32104ut/.svn/props': Operation not supported
    FIXED: Problem was restore to a file system that was not able to cope with the structure, (both fat and ntfs didn't work) was able to download to linux file system. also second issue was i was originally downloading from svn checkout svn://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/kerrighed/ as it happens there is over 1 million files and over 11 gig of files, it crashed the ubuntu system and locked it out completely. So when downloading the svn, make sure to have enough room, and to go to the correct file system!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Last edited by jbbjshlws; May 16th, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Found SVN issue

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

On each node individually, run
    Code:
    sudo poweroff
    then do the same on the server.
    I think those krgadm shutdown commands are stubs. I'm not sure...

BTW: When I said "master node" I meant to say the server. Sorry.

For the drivers:
    You may need to use an initramfs... The driver seemingly supports your card, but I read somewhere its only supported as a module. In the make menuconfig, try creating modules for the PRO/1000. once it finishes compiling run:

In the nfs file system change /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to look like
    MODULES=netboot
    BUSYBOX=y
    COMPCACHE_SIZE=""
    BOOT=nfs
    DEVICE=eth0
    NFSROOT=auto

and in the nfs file system run:
    Code:
    update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.20-krg
    copy the kernel and the new initramfs to /srv/tftp

change your /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default:
    Code:
    LABEL linux  
    KERNEL vmlinuz-2.6.20-krg  
    APPEND root=/dev/nfs initrd=initrd.img-2.6.20-krg nfsroot=10.54.12.5:/nfsroot/kerrighed ip=dhcp rw"

I didn't get to try out the SVN version yet. I didn't get much time with my cluster this week...
    Last edited by nerdopolis; May 16th, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast