Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Quote Originally Posted by mmcastig View Post
    It occurs to me that I might be barking up the wrong tree in pursuing Kerrighed. I'm trying to setup a load balancing cluster. Mostly for mass music manipulation (i.e ID3 tag editing, mass filename changes, and CDDB matching) with the program Easytag. I'd also like to just bolster the performance of my tower (I have 4 other computers sitting around). Should I be trying to setup a Kerrighed cluster for all this, or should I be headed in more of a Mosix direction? Or something I haven't tried yet?
    Hello, mmcastig.

I run a 90-node openMosix cluster and it works very well, but I'm going to start using Kerrighed instead soon because the openMosix project was officially closed over a year ago and openMosix is now unsupportable. It uses the 2.4 kernel, which does not support SATA hard drives. I would try to get Kerrighed running on your kit - It does work

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cfrieler View Post
    If anyone can venture a guess or provide references.....

[...]If thread migration is allowed to occur on an SSI cluster, will it be smart enough to move all the threads that need the same local memory?
    Hello, Cliff.

Neither openMosix or Kerrighed support 'thread' (i.e. lightweight processes) migration. In fact, POSIX threads are usually implemented as separate processes under Linux and communicate using shared memory. That means they will not migrate under openMosix or the 'stable' version of Kerrighed.

What you want is NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Architecture) where the kernel attempts to observe data locality using memory management hardware to keep data in the memory of the CPU where it is actually being processed.

SSI (Single System Image) is more like SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing) where data locality is not considered by the load balancing algorithm, which just distributes the CPU load independently of memory bandwidth. The openMosix load balancing algorithm does try to avoid memory depletion on a processing element by migrating processes away, but it only supports uniprocessor architecture and will only use one CPU even if two or more are present. I'm not sure how stable Kerrighed support for SMP is yet.

Bye,

Tony.
    Last edited by ajt; April 26th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jedi453 View Post
    OK, I've searched the Internet without perfect matches, I've found "tftpd: read: connection refused" ( http://forum.soft32.com/linux2/tftpd...pict11717.html ) which suggests shutting off your firewall. I can only guess at this point, so it might help if you posted all the files the kerrighed guide tells you to edit and create, or double check them yourself. Also look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/pxe_booting_debian to learn a little more about pxe booting, many of the problems I faced setting up kerrighed were from lack of understanding on my part. It could be the version of tftpd you're using or the edition of ubuntu, or a mistake in following the guide. You should try reinstalling all the required software then rebooting the servers. I also had an odd problem (granted not the same one) setting mine up because I hadn't rebooted in a long while, so rebooting might help also.

Good Luck!
    Hello, jedi453 and Josh.

There are two different issues here:

#1 Does tftpd work
    #2 Does NFS work

You can test both of these independently from any Linux client. Just use the tftpd client on a stand-alone Ubuntu manchine to see if you can download the pxelinux secondary bootstrap. Then, try to mount the NFSROOT on e.g. /mnt. [tip] Use "showmount -e server_name" on the client to see what filesystems server_name' is exporting. You should also restart the NFS server after making changes to /etc/exports.

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmcastig View Post
    Bigjimjams,
    I am experiencing the exact same problem as jbbjshlws. My /etc/exports and /srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/default read respectively as follows:

# /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
    # to NFS clients. See exports(5).
    #
    # Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
    # /srv/homes hostname1(rw,sync) hostname2(ro,sync)
    #
    # Example for NFSv4:
    # /srv/nfs4 gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt)
    # /srv/nfs4/homes gss/krb5i(rw,sync)
    #
    # /etc/exports #
    /nfsroot/kerrighed 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0(rw,no_subtree_check,async,no_root_sq uash)
    Hello, mmcastig.

Did you intend to export your NFSROOT to exacly one host?

Your exports config only exports the filesystem to the single host 192.168.1.1, To export it to the network 192.168.1.0 you should use:

/nfsroot/kerrighed 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_subtree_check,async,no_root_sq uash)

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rickles65 View Post
    Maybe I'm just thick headed today... So is there nothing out there any more that does process (thread) migration?

We have a need (and it's just 3 machines) for high CPU threads to be moved off to the more idle machines.

We'd done this before (about 5 years ago) with OpenMosix. We just added the appropriate kernel mods, NFS mounts and off we went.

The machines are fully loaded in this config as well so there's no need for SSI in the current config either. Just the net mounts and kernel changes.
    Hello, Rickles65.

Did you really migrate threads, using the MIGSHM patch?

I never got this to work properly - It was only ever 'alpha' release software. We stopped using it because it makes openMosix unstable.

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbbjshlws View Post
    Hello bigjimjams!
    I have followed the how to guide exactly step by step, i am very new to linux so i am nost 100% sure what kernal has been used, but it should be exactly what was in your how to.
    Hello, Josh.

I don't think you did follow bigjimjams guide exactly

Code:
    LABEL linux
    KERNEL vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
    APPEND root=/dev/nfs initrd=initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/nfsroot/kerrighed ip=dhcp rw
    You're trying to boot the 'generic' Ubuntu kernel, not the patched kerrighed kernel! The generic kernel does not support NFSROOT...

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agungaryo View Post
    thank you,ajt.
    but I've tried to use multiple server with round robin balancing,but the result is not satisfied . some issues appear like crash on database,DNS cache (while server get hundreds request from client),n I've checked the common error isn't at bandwidth but in CPU USAGE which causes "time out" error at client.
    does kerrighed really not help my problem ?
    Hello, Agung.

The Apache web server spawns multiple threads which can be executed on different SMP processors local to the machine that Apache is running on. The Apache server keeps track of these threads using shared memory, so the SSI you use must support thread (as opposed to process) migration: At present, Kerrighed does not support thread migration.

by the way ,do I have to install my simulation at cluster node (kerrighed kernel) to use clustering ?
    Yes, and you need to give the parent apache2 process inheritable migration capability using:

Code:
    krgcapset -d <apache2.pid> +CAN_MIGRATE
    Where <apache2.pid is the process ID of the apache2 server.

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
    ... In fact, POSIX threads are usually implemented as separate processes under Linux and communicate using shared memory. That means they will not migrate under openMosix or the 'stable' version of Kerrighed.
    Tony,
    Thanks for the very informative reply. A lot of complexity here that is going to require some study. But since you apparently command a broad range within this topic area, let me ask a couple additional questions.

Does OpenMP produced threads, POSIX compliant threads, or it's own seperate processes? Is it compiler dependent?

To keep my programming model simple, I've built a relatively homogeneous cluster. All nodes are quad CPU with 4GB RAM, and they are run diskless, using CAOS-NSA. Currently, I write a task processing code that is compiled for 4 CPUs, highly optimized and benchmarked to run several orders of magnitude longer than the comm time necessary to transfer it, the supporting data and the results. These tasks are kicked off by a seperate MPI code that has a single instance on each node.

My thought was that with SSI I could do away with the MPI code. I had hoped that if I kicked off all the tasks on the master node, they would migrate as necessary to available nodes for processing. This would relieve me of coordinating, and make it easier to mix very different speeds of nodes.

Given that context, any additional comments about Ubuntu/Kerrighed? Any suggestions on other approaches/technologies I should look at?

Again, thanks for your insight.
    Regards, Cliff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
    Hello, Josh.

I don't think you did follow bigjimjams guide exactly

Code:
    LABEL linux
    KERNEL vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
    APPEND root=/dev/nfs initrd=initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/nfsroot/kerrighed ip=dhcp rw
    You're trying to boot the 'generic' Ubuntu kernel, not the patched kerrighed kernel! The generic kernel does not support NFSROOT...

Bye,

Tony.
    This was taken from the how to guide:
    This guide is split into two parts: the first covers how to setup the server for diskless booting the nodes using the current kernel, the second part of the guide covers setting up Kerrighed 2.3.0 and incorporating it into the diskless boot configuration of part one.
    It states that you are using the current kernel, then later to set up the Kerrighed kernel and incorporating it. so at the moment, I am using the current kernel, this is until I have been able to successfully boot and then start part two of the guide. so for the moment I think that it is set up as per the guide for where I am upto, sorry for the confusion.

I am still having this issue, I installed Ubuntu onto another box, and I can connect to the nfs share on the server without a problem. so it is being shared, but the problem persists. i have tried the guide on post 86, but it comes up with other errors so i reinstalled the machine from scratch to make sure I didn't stuff any settings up, but have the same problem. I have replicated the same setup on some virtual pc's, with the same problem. so I am consistently doing the same thing wrong, or the guide is not catering for my version of Ubuntu (2.6.27-7-generic).

I have followed http://www.cpsspecialties.webhop.org...hedCluster.htm guide as well with the same issues. he is running the same version of Ubuntu as I and had the same issue earlier on and got it solved two weeks ago, but has not posted the solution yet. This could be the key, thanks for the help so far, I'm sure we can work this out! as I have said before I can give SSH details to people if they need to have a look around to see a silly setting I have done wrong, this might make solving this over the Internet a little bit easier!,

Cheers,
    Josh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbbjshlws View Post
    This was taken from the how to guide:

It states that you are using the current kernel, then later to set up the Kerrighed kernel and incorporating it. so at the moment, I am using the current kernel, this is until I have been able to successfully boot and then start part two of the guide. so for the moment I think that it is set up as per the guide for where I am upto, sorry for the confusion.

I am still having this issue, I installed Ubuntu onto another box, and I can connect to the nfs share on the server without a problem. so it is being shared, but the problem persists. i have tried the guide on post 86, but it comes up with other errors so i reinstalled the machine from scratch to make sure I didn't stuff any settings up, but have the same problem. I have replicated the same setup on some virtual pc's, with the same problem. so I am consistently doing the same thing wrong, or the guide is not catering for my version of Ubuntu (2.6.27-7-generic).

I have followed http://www.cpsspecialties.webhop.org...hedCluster.htm guide as well with the same issues. he is running the same version of Ubuntu as I and had the same issue earlier on and got it solved two weeks ago, but has not posted the solution yet. This could be the key, thanks for the help so far, I'm sure we can work this out! as I have said before I can give SSH details to people if they need to have a look around to see a silly setting I have done wrong, this might make solving this over the Internet a little bit easier!,

Cheers,
    Josh

Edit: did you set up the server with a static ip address?

Our server has two network cards, one is setup for internet access, the other is connected to a switch, which connects the four nodes. The server network card connected to the switch is manually configured with the IP address 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
    See here for details: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...etworking.html

/Edit

So you've done the guide twice without success. It is made for hardy heron (8.04), looks like you're running intrepid ibex (8.10). I can't guarantee it's the problem, but if you've tried twice without success installing hardy heron and restarting the guide might be a reasonable alternative. As kerrighed depends on 2.6.20, you aren't getting a better kernel by using intrepid, so the only thing you would be giving up is the newer packages and maybe some time.

The other thing to consider is skipping that test and continue with the guide (beginning at the beginning of part two) as if it worked. After all it is just a test. At any rate I would post all the files the guide tells you to edit/create as a zip file attachment or in a post.
    Last edited by jedi453; April 28th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast