Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Question Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Greetings everyone! I've been watching this thread for a while now, and decided that I have to help a few friends try and reduce their povray rendering times

Now, I have a few questions that I can't seem to find clear answers to.

1. The server for the cluster will be a core i7 machine with 12gb of ram, so its obvious that i'd run a 64bit os. Does this mean that all of my nodes have to run 64bit Kerrighed kernels too? Or can the nodes run both 32bit and 64bit builds of Kerrighed?

2. povray 3.7 is now natively multithreaded. Can anyone confirm that the threads from povray 3.7 are distributed through all the nodes?

Much thanks,
    -Adam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Quote Originally Posted by floz23 View Post
    Greetings everyone! I've been watching this thread for a while now, and decided that I have to help a few friends try and reduce their povray rendering times

Now, I have a few questions that I can't seem to find clear answers to.

1. The server for the cluster will be a core i7 machine with 12gb of ram, so its obvious that i'd run a 64bit os. Does this mean that all of my nodes have to run 64bit Kerrighed kernels too? Or can the nodes run both 32bit and 64bit builds of Kerrighed?

2. povray 3.7 is now natively multithreaded. Can anyone confirm that the threads from povray 3.7 are distributed through all the nodes?

Much thanks,
    -Adam
    Hi Adam, depends on what setup you choose to use, but normally the server doesn't take part in the kerrighed cluster, therefore the server runs a different kernel to the nodes, so it doesn't matter if this is 32-bit or 64-bit. However, I'm unable to comment if you can mix 32-bit and 64-bit kernels in the cluster, my guess is probably not. As for 2), kerrighed only supports process migration, so threads will only be processed on the CPU they are launched. If this CPU is multi-core, then the threads have access to all the cores of the CPU. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bigjimjams; March 30th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.

Beans

Hi everybody..
    I'm working now Clustering. I set up a trial cluster of three machines just the way it is said in the EasyUbuntuClustering. I'm using kerrighed.

The problem is that, I couldn't find a sultion for storage. It is said that kerrighed could virtualize all the disks on each node. Is it true??

And if not, what shared disk file system shall I use??

Need help

Thanks

Beans

Hi tony..

I know this is a separate module. There is no way i can download it. I went to the repository of INRIA, and finally founed a version of Kerrighed containing KDFS instead of KerFS. I installed it. But id doesn't seem to be working.

Has anyone else found a solution for storage with kerrighed??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by floz23 View Post
    floz23
    Did you try to contact me thru my site ?

Quote Originally Posted by koukoobangoo View Post
    Has anyone else found a solution for storage with kerrighed??
    You could use OCFS2 > wouldn't try if I was you / on a small setup. It's designed for SAN storage with LUN's ( either iSCSI / fiber )

GlusterFS > works quite well ( albeit some parts run in userspace ), supports load balancing / HA configs /

or..
    Just stick to NFS > you can tremendously speed it up using AUFS & a COW loop ( you only read from the server > changes are written to a local FS ( use tempfs ) ...
    Last edited by djamu; March 30th, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    democracy : 2 wolves and a sheep voting on "what's for dinner"
    i am self-employed, and my views reflect the electrical charges held between many simultaneously firing synapses... or is that synapsi?
    http://3d.uk.to

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djamu View Post
    Did you try to contact me thru my site
    I sent you a message a few moments ago...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimjams View Post
    Hi Agung Aryo, what type of simulation are you running? In my opinion, I can see too different options:

1) The client connects to the simulation on the server, which can then execute other programs/processes of the simulation on the cluster nodes via ssh.
    2) The client connects to the server, which then grabs the information from the client and passes this to the cluster nodes when executing the simulation on the cluster nodes via ssh.

In order to have kerrighed working properly, only the cluster nodes should run the kerrighed kernel, the server should just be running a standard Ubuntu kernel. Also, the cluster nodes should have there own private network with the server. A client should not be connected to this private network, as all a client should see is the server, which then submits jobs to the cluster nodes. Hope this helps?
    hi bigjimjams ,thank in advance for responding

I'm new in clustering
    my simulation can be described like web server
    I want to analyze how much the capacity of web server if I use clustering

cluster nodes ------- server (web server )----- clients (web clients)

the thousands client will request the site , it makes web server overload ( CPU usage 100%), I try to solve that problem with clustering

any idea with my problem ?

thank you
    agung aryo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agungaryo View Post
    hi bigjimjams ,thank in advance for responding

I'm new in clustering
    my simulation can be described like web server
    I want to analyze how much the capacity of web server if I use clustering

cluster nodes ------- server (web server )----- clients (web clients)

the thousands client will request the site , it makes web server overload ( CPU usage 100%), I try to solve that problem with clustering

any idea with my problem ?
    Hello, agung aryo.

A Beowulf is not the same thing as a web server farm: Most people use a DNS 'round-robin' to spread the load between multiple web servers. That means when clients request a page from the web server IP address the local DNS redirects it to one machine in the available pool of servers.

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
    Hello, agung aryo.

A Beowulf is not the same thing as a web server farm: Most people use a DNS 'round-robin' to spread the load between multiple web servers. That means when clients request a page from the web server IP address the local DNS redirects it to one machine in the available pool of servers.

Bye,

Tony.
    thank you,ajt.
    but I've tried to use multiple server with round robin balancing,but the result is not satisfied . some issues appear like crash on database,DNS cache (while server get hundreds request from client),n I've checked the common error isn't at bandwidth but in CPU USAGE which causes "time out" error at client.
    does kerrighed really not help my problem ?

by the way ,do I have to install my simulation at cluster node (kerrighed kernel) to use clustering ?

thank you
    agung aryo

Beans

Hello everyone, It's been a little while since I last posted. BigJimJams, I have not had a chance to try what you said yet, been busy working. I will try it this week when I get a chance.

Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast