Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO iPod with (Ubuntu) Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOW-TO iPod with (Ubuntu) Linux

This really works great on my iPod Mini!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ddumanis
    Amarok 1.37 for Breezy works great for syncing tunes to my Shuffle. It's the latest version (a backport, I think).
    Where's your iPod mounted? Mine's at /media/ipod and Amarok 1.3.7 doesn't recognize it. Is there a way to point amarok to the correct mount point?

TIA

UPDATE: This worked for me:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /media/ipod /mnt/ipod
    Last edited by berserker; January 20th, 2006 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Seaman
    So amaroK has no problem with iPod? Like normal Computer --> iPod-transfers?
    Well, unless you use the SVN version, you won't be able to transfer any AAC files, like from iTunes, because amaroK doesn't handle the tags yet.

Hopefully the version in Dapper will soon, and it'll be backported.
    There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.
    --- Enrico Fermi

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 5.10

You mention the following:
    *NOTE ABOUT ITUNES* - If you use gtkpod to update your iPod, and you plug it into a Windows machine with an up-to-date iTunes, GTKPOD WILL NO LONGER READ YOUR ITUNESDB. You will need to restore your iPod and update with gtkpod (or use iTunes from that point on).

I have this problem, could someone tell me how do I restore my ipod and set it up in linux? Do I need to restore it in Windows again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

alright, i'm trying to move music from my ipod to my desktop, but when i try "Export Tracks from Database" i get this error message regardless of the template/format i use: "Template ('') does not match file type '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F40/UVSX.m4a'
    Failed to write 'Ryan Adams-Oh My Sweet Carolina'". In case you can't tell, the example uses a ryan adams' song .

Beans

Is there a way to make gtkpod (99.2) automatically fetch album artwork the way Banshee or Amarok does?

I like Banshee, but I get "database locked" sqllite errors when I try and import a complete folder. Only about 1/8th of the folder gets imported. It also allows duplicates, as I found out when I tried to add the folder again

Amarok is nice as well, but the interface has quite a bit going on. I had to mount /dev/sda2 to /mnt/ipod for it to work, but the iPod intergration seemed quite buggy (a few times it torked my itunesdb file leaving with no songs in the ipod interface, even though there were quite a few mp3s on the device).

I am hoping I don't have to manually fetch all my album artwork.

Thanks in advance for any pointers..

-Brendan

Beans
    Hidden!

surely someone read this as 'running ubuntu on an ipod'
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I thought I should let peopleknow how I got on with an ipod shuffle.

I had problems mounting the device, using the instructions (page1), but were quite easy to fix. Firstly the drive containing the mp3s was /dev/sda1 not /dev/sda2, and it was mounted by gtkpod into /media/ipod not /mnt/ipod. changing /etc/fstab with these parameters, then remounting allowed gtkpod to see the shuffle.

Perhaps gtkpod recognised the device when it installed and did the mounting bit automatically... anyway it is now working fine.

(I am running Breezy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What about protected songs purchased from iTMS? I have tons of music I purchased from the music store, and from what I can tell none of the linux software offers compatibility for DRMed music.

JHymn is also not a viable option. Legality aside, it won't function with accounts that have ever used iTunes 6.

Anybody have a way of syncing iPods with Protected AAC files?

Beans

virtual machine + Windows + iTunes
    ----------------------------------
    This was also unsuccessful, a virtual Windows installation will not correctly identify an iPod on a USB Bus.

this does work btw, i reformatted my ipod using VMware

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast