Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XSane with Epson Workforce 600 through LAN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: XSane with Epson Workforce 600 through LAN

thanks for the links!

I have been researching all sorts of information that you have provided and it seems that the SANE epson2.conf, net.conf, services all require some editing.

As soon as I figure out the recipe I will post the recipe that works.

BTW - make sure that you are part of the "saned" group. You can do this by going to: System/Administration/Users and Groups then click "unlock" and enter the sudo password and then "Manage Groups".

I have made a little progress - but no luck yet. I now have XSANE taking about 10 minutes to timeout and then the famous "no devices found". Right now it looks like it is a matter of finding the right port to use and configuration to have it "talk" and work.

Another avenue I am going to look into is importing the .bin file from Window$ and see if that will help. I will have to do more research to see if it is worth the time: 1) to find & 2) if it will help at all.

Well I am done banging my head against the monitor for now and try again fresh tomorrow.

Thanks again for the research and if you find more please let me know!
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing!
    Click here to read more
    Another happy Ubuntu user since 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Possible solution.

After much research and help I think I have found a way to scan over the network. However, it may not be ideal. You still have to have the machine connected via USB and then networked through the host (server) pc.

Here is what I have found: (this is my first major attempt at a walk throuh - so please let me know if I have made any errors)

Image Scan! for Linux

this is provided by Seiko Epson Corporation.

It supports networking scanning when the device is connected via USB to a Server PC that client PC's can connect to through your network. [The cleint and server may be one in the same machine.]

When you goto the site fill out the radio buttons and select the proper answers to the questions that they have. Once you get to the next screen look for the .deb file for Image Scan. They also provide a printer utility as well if you want/need it.

Once you download the .deb file install it.

You may need to do some final configurations to the following files:

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    /etc/sane.d/net.conf
    /etc/services

Here is the setup procedures. NOTE - you need to be SUDO to make the changes. Be sure to make a backup copy of the original file before you make any changes.

Client PC

Make sure that the net module is enabled in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. (if there is a "#" before the entry, remove it.) Also, make sure that an entry exists for epkowa # needed by iscan is present and without a preceding #.

Example:

Code:
    net
    epkowa # needed by iscan
    Now you need a sane entry in etc/services. The install file may have done this - but check to be sure!

Look for the following entry, and if you do not see it - add it. It should be at the very bottom of the page.

Code:
    sane 6566/tcp # SANE network scanner daemon
    You can also easily find it by using the following code

Code:
    $ grep 6566/tcp /etc/services
    Server PC

On the server (PC that has the scanner connected to) side you need to add clients that are allowed to use the scanner.
    NOTE: Use the IP address that is assigned to your PC. You may want to assign a static address for this. If you need help with this please let me know - it is actually really simple!
    /etc/sane.d/saned.conf

Code:
    scan-client
    192.XXX.X.XXX
    Be sure that /etc/sane.d/dll.conf has the epkowa module enabled. See the directions for the client PC above. Note that the install should have done this - better safe than sorry though!

The /etc/services needs a sanr entry as well, again see the direction for the client PC above for the entry.

Hopefully you have made or ensured that all the entries are present and you are ready to restert your PC. You could just restart the services - but I like to refresh the RAM, personal preference I think.

Once your machine comes back up - give it a try. Hopefully I have written this clearly and you have a working network scanner.

I have n Ubuntu Server machine running and I think this is how I will overcome the issue. Unless somebody out there is better at figuring this out better than me!

I have noticed that on the Epson site it states that network scanning is only available for Linux users via this route:

Please note that scanning over the network is only supported in a client/server setup. Scanners directly attached to the network are not supported.

Let me know if you have any questions and if I can answer them I will.
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing!
    Click here to read more
    Another happy Ubuntu user since 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks a lot for all the work Olivero. I can't test this set-up having just one PC in my network, but the description looks pretty solid. It's a pity Epson don't support scanners directly connected to the network. I guess I was hoping for the community to have filled this functionality gap. Maybe next time I should buy an HP all-in-one, as HP delivers Linux drivers that do support network scanning (via hplip)...

Thanks again Olivero!

Kind regards,
    Rob
    Linux #416781 - Ubuntu #9075
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ―George Bernard Shaw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've sent Epson and Avasys (the driver developers) emails about this lack of functionality. So far, only an Epson engineer has responded and said he would bring it to the attention of the developers at Epson. I haven't heard anyhting yet of Avasys, but who knows, in the coming days...

My guess is it won't happen any time soon. The reason I've got an Epson is they are using waterproof ink. I would have bought an HP if HP would supply waterproof inks. I just don't understand HP doesn't have these.
    Linux #416781 - Ubuntu #9075
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ―George Bernard Shaw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1st off sorry to dig up old threads... 1st hit from google and yet unsolved, until linux god boblizar shows up....

my environment is NOT ubuntu. however under gentoo i have gotten it to pull at least 1 preview over the network only wire involved is ac power....

printer end setup for wifi 802.11b make sure it pulls your pinters new ip address, netmask so on....

linux box end i installed....

iscan-2.26.2
    iscan-data-1.9.0.1
    sane-backends-1.0.22-r1
    sane-frontends-1.0.14
    xsane-0.998
    gimp-2.8.2

power up printer, then run to pc, load gimp up...

file > create > xsane dialog

loads up xsane, then hit acquire preview and it pulls its preview from the network. the printer end of the device is (old gnome) :

system > admin > print settings

add printer > fold down network options > wait 2 seconds > epson workforce 600....

(printer ip address):515
    queue: passthru

if you want to bribe me with an exact ubuntu specific fix even with linux from scratch style compiles if nessisary hit my donation link on my master thesis thread.... found here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836890

(to note a problem i ran into, when the printer went to sleep after so long of inactivity i had to restart it)

PROOF of a scan through xscanimage via network....
    Last edited by boblizar; October 1st, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
    curiosity killed the process, but thats ok because i'm god.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12