Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I go for a Macbook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Should I go for a Macbook?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    One of the best answers so far, thank you
    Because you genuinely think he answered your question, or because he gave you the answer you wanted to hear?

Macs are really fantastic. Their hardware is high-quality and reliable, and their coded apps are great. I highly recommend them to all who ask. But you really have to examine what you want to use your mac for. I think if you're going to buy a mac and run ubuntu on it, it'll be a waste of money, and you'll struggle with compatibilty.

You still didn't answer Spr0cket's response. Why do you want a mac?

I love mac. I love ubuntu. I just think that ubuntu on a mac is paradoxical.

If you're looking for a high end PC to run ubuntu, check out the Dell XPS series - You can buy them with ubuntu pre-installed. If you want a PC which looks even cooler than mac, and you can afford it, check out voodoo pc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    Kind of what I always think. I purchased a lappy from System76 and will definitely make my next purchase from them. They support the hardware, software, and quite good to work with. Not to mention they install ubuntu by default. If you purchase a mac because you think the hardware is premium... you are only paying for the case, name, and operating system. The hardware is designed entirely by Intel using specifications set by Apple. For all intense purposes, the laptop I just got could be the exact same laptop with a different case/look, a few surface mount resistors, and a bios change.
    System 87 or what ever they are called just put there name on a cheap computer. OMG they put 64bit Linux on there! 64 Bit Linux is not ready yet. Also a bit of open source stuff comes from Apple and it is put in Linux. Ever heard of CPUS if your against Apple don't use CPUS!
    Macintosh! E-Mail me at macubuntu05@gmail.com
    My website is...
    http://tomgilling.110mb.com
    please remember to check it out and sub my RSS!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Surely the OP would be aware of the arguments to expect in this forum...

I say buy a Mac or something else.

Both options will have their pro's & con's.

You can't loose.

Just consider yourself lucky as you are one of the few who can afford to buy a new computer.
    Aye, it won't blow up and it won't cure cancer. The biggest pro with a Mac is that you can legally run any OS on it that is compatible with regular PC's along with Mac OS X. I do like the way Mac's are made though, the body is very creative.

Though, if you ever go for a desktop, just build your own, please.

Beans

Yes the macbook is the best computer i ever had and still have for 2 years.

Beans

i don't know is the keyboard as bad as the really slim imac one?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I haven't used the iMac keyboard yet. My only comparison is between the old MacBook 1.1 I've been using for the past year and the new MacBook Pro 5.1 (at this point I'd like to express my gratitude to the educational system and the 50 percent discount I got ). Personally, I like the keyboard very much and it's a definitive improvement over the old 1.1 one which had a too soft pressure point for my liking.

But in the end keyboard preferences tend to vary immensely and you'll be best served by trying to type on a MacBook yourself and see if it is too your liking. The buttons are still flat and spaced out and all keys still miss labels for tertiary signs (which is nerve grading to the highest degree unless you memorize them).

Beans

The Slim alloy Keyboards are a pleasure to use and have a small desktop footprint

My unibody MacBook keyboard is also a pleasure to use.

My only complaint with Mac input devices is the mighty mouse, the scroll button whilst it works its great but it very quickly becomes dirty and a pain. I replaced mine withe a Logitech

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    My only complaint with Mac input devices is the mighty mouse, the scroll button whilst it works its great but it very quickly becomes dirty and a pain. I replaced mine withe a Logitech
    +1

And I always have issues trying to right click. 7/10 times it thinks I'm trying to left click.

Beans

yep it's quite easy to configure/use ubuntu or debian on a macbook since so many people are doing it its all explained in tutorials.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123