Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help with tarballs! I'm totally trying, REALLY!

Beans

Angry Please help with tarballs! I'm totally trying, REALLY!

Hi, all,
    Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong in the below tarball install try? I can get to the directory (folder) which contains the files. You can see i did the cd command. Then I try to configure it and get the error below. I am a real newbie and trying to learn all the terminal command stuff on my own. But with tarballs, I always get stuck here. By the way, the install text file in the program instructions says the shell commands "./configure, make, and make install" should work to configure, build, and install. The first thing I did was to open the containing folder from the package manager and put it in the usr folder in the home directory, then changed the directory in terminal to point to that very same folder. I hope this makes sense, I have no idea what I'm talking about
    Please talk in beginner-ease. I'm having a lot of fun, but these tarballs have me totally frustrated! Terminal text follows::

garwyn@garwyn-laptop:~/src/gnome-color-chooser-0.2.4$ ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
    checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
    checking for DEPS... configure: error: Package requirements (gtkmm-2.4 >= 2.8.0 libglademm-2.4 >= 2.6.0 libgnome-2.0 >= 2.16.0 libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.14.0 libxml-2.0 >= 2.6.0 ) were not met:

No package 'gtkmm-2.4' found
    No package 'libglademm-2.4' found
    No package 'libgnome-2.0' found
    No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found
    No package 'libxml-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DEPS_CFLAGS
    and DEPS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

garwyn@garwyn-laptop:~/src/gnome-color-chooser-0.2.4$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Please help with tarballs! I'm totally trying, REALLY!

See the "no package found" ? you need that packages in order the program to work. Find them and install them. At least that is what i would do.
    Just checking if i'm really alive...

Beans

your missing dependencies(programs need by the program your installing) from what I can see. most of those your should be able to do apt-get install <package>

Beans

Have you tried installing gnome-color-chooser through the repositories? I believe it is available, so is there any special reason why you want to compile it yourself? In other words, have you tried:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You will probably need the development verisions of those packages, they just have a -dev at the end of the name, search synaptic for those and look for their development verssions. Isn't there a readme or install file that tells you what the programs dependencies are.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by zenmatrix View Post
    your missing dependencies(programs need by the program your installing) from what I can see. most of those your should be able to do apt-get install <package>
    sudo apt-get install <package>
    "Linux is like a wig-wam, no gates, no windows, and apache inside." -LinLux451

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Please help with tarballs! I'm totally trying, REALLY!

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Have you tried installing gnome-color-chooser through the repositories? I believe it is available, so is there any special reason why you want to compile it yourself? In other words, have you tried:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser
    Totally agreed.

Always check Synaptic before trying to compile it yourself.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Red face Re: Please help with tarballs! I'm totally trying, REALLY!

Thank you all,
    And caljohnsmith, you definitely solved the immediate problem. I thought I had already tried that, I read others who said the program "mysteriously" disappeared from that function. But i must have typed it wrong; I did a copy and paste from your command and it worked. Thank You. I still need to figure out tarballs for the future, and I thank everyone else for the probable need for additional dependicies. I will work on that in the AM. But immediate prob solved. Thanks to everyone!.
    GT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by garpt View Post
    Thank you all,
    And caljohnsmith, you definitely solved the immediate problem. I thought I had already tried that, I read others who said the program "mysteriously" disappeared from that function. But i must have typed it wrong; I did a copy and paste from your command and it worked. Thank You. I still need to figure out tarballs for the future, and I thank everyone else for the probable need for additional dependicies. I will work on that in the AM. But immediate prob solved. Thanks to everyone!.
    GT
    Yo Bro befor trying tarballs check with the repos first then if it's ther then try to install it from that using

sudo apt-get install <package_name>

If it's not there then go for the tarball but the problem is that when you try to install with the tarball you need to get all the dependencies maunally so try to check with the repos first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by garpt View Post
    Hi, all,
    Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong in the below tarball install try?
    One really useful thing in general is the "build-dep" option to apt-get. It instructs apt-get to go look for all the dependencies related to the package you are trying to build.

Get a terminal window. Type "man apt-get". Then read the doc looking for "build-dep".
    C'est ma façon de parler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast