Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Portege 3500 tablet

Beans

[SOLVED] Portege 3500 tablet

Hi
    I recently installed ubuntu (Hardy Herron) on my Toshiba Portege 3500 tablet PC.

I've been trying for days now to get the stylus to work, but I can't get it to acknowledge it's existance.

I've tried altering xorg.conf using the examples here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
    but it seems to make no difference, whatever I do.

Could anyone help me set this up?
    Failing that, does anyone know of a way I can test if any raw data is being recieved from the screen?

LittleMatt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Portege 3500 tablet

Hi littlematt,

Can you tell me what kind of video card you have? ATI, nVidia, Intel? Do you know what type of digitizer is built in. Serial Wacom? What capabilities? Stylus, side button, eraser, touch?

In a terminal try:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep wacom
    or:
    Code:
    lsmod
    and look for wacom. Might also try:
    Code:
    modinfo -d wacom
    Could you post your xorg.conf as an attachment?

Beans

Hi Favux

Thanks for replying. Sorry, I wasn't very helpful in my first post.

Graphics card: Trident CyberALADDiN-T Graphics accelerator

I think the digitiser is a serial wacom, but not sure about this. There's a stylus with eraser and a button on the side (gives right-click in XP)

lsmod | grep wacom returned nothing

lsmod gave a whole load of stuff, but I couldn't see wacom. Attached if this helps.

modinfo -d wacom returned:
    USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver

Also attached xorg.conf (after I've added bits about wacom and stuff, as per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029397

Hope this helps,
    littlematt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi littlematt,

I'm pretty sure it's a serial tablet too. To check in a terminal type:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ttyS
    In the return output should be "irq=4" or 5.

So given it's a serial tablet I've gone ahead and edited your xorg.conf based on what you told me you have: stylus, side button, and eraser. I've also taken the liberty of cleaning it up a little bit and rearranging it into a more logical (at least for me) order. It looks like you're running two monitors. I left your video stuff alone.

I think you have a linuxwacom module present, but it's not installed. Go back to Loic2's wiki:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
    and follow the Installing the Latest Driver in Ubuntu link:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver
    and go ahead and install the kernel module and stuff again.

Actually the latest driver is 0.8.2 not 0.8.1-6, but we'll cross that bridge if we need to.

Be sure to back up your xorg.conf before doing anything to it. Compare it side-by-side with my edited version to check out the changes, make sure you approve, and that I didn't goof.

Between the two you should get it working.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi Favux

Thanks for the advice, I think the xorg.conf is fine, but I'm having problems installing the latest driver/kernel module thing. After sudo ./install, I get this message. I've no idea what this means, could you help?

matt@matt-laptop:~/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.2-1/prebuilt$ sudo ./install
    Installing Wacom man page......
    Installed under /usr/share/man/man4

Installing wacom_drv....
    wacom_drv.so installed under /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input

Installing utility programs (wacdump, xidump, xsetwacom....)
    Installed under /usr/local/bin

Installing wacomcpl......

Warning: wacomcpl requires tcl/tk being installed

./install: line 105: yum: command not found
    ./install: line 105: yum: command not found

Please install tcl/tk then run this script again

You need to compile and install wacom.(k)o manually if your kernel is out of date.

After adding your Wacom tools into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, please restart X server or simply reboot your system to run the new Wacom X driver.

Beans
    Distro

Hi littlematt,

Hey thanks for pointing out that the Linux Wacom Project released another linuxwacom driver version 0.8.2-1. I'll have to see if I can install it with the tutorial I'm working on.

I don't think you need one that recent. That's why I referred you to Loic2's wiki with 0.8.1-6. I forget Hardy's kernel, is it 2.6.26 or 2.6.24? Anyway typing "uname -r" in a terminal will tell you.

I think "Warning: wacomcpl requires tcl/tk being installed" means a library (or package) "tcl/tk" isn't installed. You could hunt it down in Synaptics and try again. But Synaptics version may not be recent enough. It also seems to be telling you your kerenel is too old for 0.8.2-1.

I think Loic's wiki tells you how to remove installed stuff, which you probably want to do.

So to sum up you made changes to your xorg.conf using the xorg.conf I uploaded. Your stylus still didn't work. You went to Linux Wacom Project and started installing their latest using their HOW TO? Or is this what you're getting from Loic2's wiki? After all I noticed the package said it's prebuilt.

Beans

Hi again

I updated teh xorg.conf as you suggested, with no effect. The wiki said "Download the latest drivers from the Linux Wacom Project," so on the wacom project site, I went straight to the download page and downloaded the top one. I guess this is "too recent" for my slightly outdated Hardy? Is that right, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Would it be easiest to use an older vertion of the file from the wacom project? Or will I have to try and install this tcl/tk file?

littlematt

Beans
    Distro

Hi littlematt,

When the wiki was written the latest drivers were 0.8.1-6. It may be that 0.8.2-1 is too recent for your kernel. The instructions following the link to the Linux Wacom Project are all for 0.8.1-6. So I'd download 0.8.1-6 (I think it's still available) and then continue on with the instructions. Tip: smarter to copy and paste then type them into terminal. There's some alternate ways/troubleshooting things listed too. So it'd be a good idea to read through the stuff once before starting.

Good luck!

Beans

Hi Favux

I've got it working at last, so thank you so much for your help!!

I followed the "Compiling the driver manually" section in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver using the latest driver (0.8.1) and "./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr" instead of just "./configure --prefix=/usr"

You've been a great help!

Cheers,
    littlematt

Beans
    Distro

Hi littlematt,

Great! Good job. I'm trying to get a sense of how many folks need to use the alternate configure command like you did. Right now it seems like most tablet pc users do. Who knows?

Could you do me a favor a post your xorg.conf as an attachment? Do you need any help with rotation or what not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast