• Empathy

19 18.81%
  • What happened to GAIM?

7 6.93%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EPIC BATTLE ROUND 1: Pidgin vs. Empathy

Beans

Re: EPIC BATTLE ROUND 1: Pidgin vs. Empathy

First try of Pidgin left me with a sour taste in my mouth, so I switched to Emesene. However that began to give me grief lately (something about the contact list failing to sync properly and endlessly giving me one dialog after another that someone added me, then getting an error when I tried to accept it). So I tried Empathy and Pidgin -- Pidgin surprised me with just how much it's improved over time and is now my MSN client of choice. Empathy seemed very half-arsed from what I saw.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hadn't heard of empathy till this thread. Pidgin has been my IM client of choice for a couple of years now (GAIM anyone?). Use it on both Windows and Linux, I like the fact that is cross platform, and it has everything I could want from an IM client. SO pidgin it is. I gave empathy a bash, and wasn't too impressed?

Beans
    Hidden!

Pidgin all the way. I just wish they would redesign the configuration and account management windows, the layout and style is pretty crappy and confusing. I still can't figure out what they were smoking when they designed the status windows.
    ThinkPad R61 14" | Fedora 14 | Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz | 4GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    telepathy-haze doesn't count, case its not installed by default, and your JUST using libpurple, so therefore why dont you just use pidgin?
    Because Pidgin =/= libpurple. If telepathy can use multiple protocol backends, I'd count that as a pro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Because Pidgin =/= libpurple. If telepathy can use multiple protocol backends, I'd count that as a pro.
    Telepathy is a D-Bus specification which mandate the use of connection managers to connect to different protocols.

Pidgin can't and won't be integrated into GNOME, that's what Empathy is for.

pidgin is:

more popular
    Windows is more popular.

has more clients (telepathy-haze doesn't count, case its not installed by default, and your JUST using libpurple, so therefore why dont you just use pidgin?)
    You don't understand the modular nature of Telepathy then. You have to install the connection managers you want, but that's hardly a bad thing.

cross platform (windows)
    Empathy technially could run on Windows, but it would take a lot of work. Also, cross-platform applications can never integrate well into one environment (like Firefox and OO.o)

ugly

has ugly icons
    These are subjective. I'd like to hear what you find ugly and which icons are not good.

the whole POINT of empathy is to intregrate a im client into the gnome desktop, so you can do 'cool things' like have an address book and click on their name to IM them, or invite them to a game your playing, etc. but none of these features have been implemented yet. so unless empathy gets something really cool...its pidgin for me
    Empathy is only the client. The other progams are/will be integrating libempathy functionality into them (such as Evolution, nautilus-sendto etc.)

I use Empathy and Epiphany for the same reason : they do the Right Thing™ with as little fuss as possible.
    Last edited by bruce89; January 4th, 2009 at 02:58 AM.
    A Fedora user

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123