Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid Ibex 8.10 on HP Pavilion dv3500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Intrepid Ibex 8.10 on HP Pavilion dv3500

I just thought I would post my (very good) experience of Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP Pavilion dv3500 series laptop (dv3507ea to be exact).

First of all, what works:

* Wireless networking works flawlessly. I connects to my router much faster than my old laptop. I believe it has an Intel 5100 AGN chip.

* Sound and volume worked correctly without any changes in settings.

* Multimedia softkeys work fine too.

* Hibernate seems to work fine. It does throw a couple of ACPI warnings, but works fine anyway.

What didn't work:

* Screen brightness was stuck on full by default (which is eye-strainingly bright!). I installed the latest version of nvclock from cvs and I can now control brightness with that. (Follow the screen brightness instructions as for Ubuntu on a new MacBook).

* Remote control. Using xev, no key events are registered for any of the buttons. Will need to investigate with some Ir software.

* Fingerprint reader is not yet supported. It is made by Validity appears on fprint's unsupported device list.

Overall:

I am very pleased with the laptop. It's fast, has good battery life, and is quite compact. The only significant problem was the screen brightness, but that was straight-forward to fix. I think anyone would be very happy running Ubuntu on this model.
    Last edited by A.Wingrove; January 3rd, 2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Update for remote control and fingerprint reader.

Beans

Re: Intrepid Ibex 8.10 on HP Pavilion dv3500

Hi, I have the same laptop (dv3525ef), which has an

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

as audio device. Using kernel 2.6.28, I don't get any sound output unless I pass the parameter model=dell-m4-1

Unfortunately, my capture device is not working: alsamixer shows two mics, but they only record noise. Have you managed to get your mic working? If so, with what kernel?
    thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I'm on standard Intrepid 64bit, which I believe is 2.6.27? Anyway, I just tried it and recording doesn't work on mine either. Sound output hasn't been a problem though.

You might try a newer version of Alsa if there is one.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I've tried Alsa 1.0.19 on the latest Intrepid 2.6.27-11. Unfortunately it has made no difference and still cannot record anything.

Beans

Hi, good news. With the help of Takashi Iwai, I managed to get my mic to work. This is what you do:
    compile the latest alsa-driver snapshot
    edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to contain
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5
    then reboot
    It is important to reboot, because simply unloading the module and loading it again with new parameters might not work.
    good luck!

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Intrepid Ibex 8.10 on HP Pavilion dv3500

Thanks for highlighting that option. I haven't tried the mic, but playback is much better with Alsa 1.0.19.

It's a shame that Jaunty 9.04 doesn't include 1.0.19. I just upgraded the laptop and everything works just as well as before. Better actually as the integrated webcam worked first time in Cheese.

Beans

Someone have more info about the remote control? I cant find it listed on lsusb and lspci. Someone can post the output of lsusb and lspci?

EDIT Found it. Its listed on /sys/bus/acpi/devices/ITE8708:00
    Last edited by kazuo_teramoto; May 25th, 2009 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

So I assume it is a hid device...have you managed to get it working? xev does not recognize the imput from my remote, but maybe I am missing a kernel module. Any luck?

Note: I am using a self-compiled kernel 2.6.29 and debian lenny.

Beans

Lirc have a driver for a similar CIR (for ITE 8709 CIR) I'm trying to get the datasheet and see how similar they are. I tried the driver but I cannot get it to work (I dont know how to make lirc work too so someone can have success).

I gonna use this topic to post if I get so results (I'm using 2.6.29 Arch Linux)

Beans

I compiled the latest source from lirc.org (0.8.5), and it doesn't contain drivers for ITE8708, but it does support ITE8709. Now I get a lirc0 device in /dev, but mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 does not output anything, nor does xev pick up any signals.
    I guess we'll have to wait a little bit for irda support (perhaps the latest kernels have native support?).
    Last edited by fresneda; May 30th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast