Thread: Kernel Panic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Kernel Panic

After some research... I have come to the conclusion that my computer experienced a "kernel panic".

A have a Dell E1505... when I brought it out of suspend today... the touchpad started acting weird. Then, the CAPS lock light started blinking like crazy, and the computer froze up. I did a hard reboot and all seems to be fine so far.

Wow... just as I started to write this paragraph... it froze for a few seconds and came back. I'm running Intrepid... has anyone else seen this?

-Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Kernel Panic

UPDATE: Just a few minutes ago... my screen went black and it kicked me back into the login screen. Don't know what is causing this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Kernel Panic

If the caps lock light starts blinking, then yes you have had a kernel panic.

Having X crash back to the login screen, along with kernel panics, suggests to me that you are using proprietary graphics drivers; is this correct? Disable them or upgrade to the latest version if possible, and see if the problem persists.

The "couple of seconds at a time" freezes are nothing to worry about; it just means that your computer is temporarily working at 100% of capacity.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.