Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opensolaris is really exciting me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Opensolaris is really exciting me!

Disclosure: I have had very little hands-on experience with it, and I promptly put Ubuntu back on my laptop due to no touchpad driver.

Opensolaris is looking like the go-to operating system for server environments. Reading some ZFS usage docs, it's the best filesystem available for many reasons: Snapshots, transactions, and the combination of disk manager and filesystem are very appealing.

Of course, Xen is fully supported on Osol, so virtualization is as much of a breeze on Osol as on any other *nix system.

Crossbow, coming out in SXCE build 105, sounds completely AWESOME. Read about it here: http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/ (scroll down a bit). It's basically full network virtualization, which is very very cool. You can literally create a virtual network infrastructure on one machine.

Sun's websites and clarifications on some things could use work, but their user manuals are incredibly useful. The package naming scheme in IPS will be cleaned up in time. I have some exploring to do w.r.t. Sun Studio, Netbeans, and other development related topics, but I'm really liking the prospects of Opensolaris. It will likely be the host of my server, which I just massively upgraded (1.3 TB HD space, 6GB RAM, Antec Nine Hundred case). I'll probably still run Ubuntu Server as a VM and play. Along with IPCop, CentOS, and Windows Server 2008.
    Last edited by Luke has no name; January 2nd, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Opensolaris is really exciting me!

If you want try Nexenta, its a Ubuntu port that uses ZFS and Solaris kernel
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

I loaded it into virtualbox on Windows Vista, I didn't really find anything that was more appealing or different for me than what I can already get on Xubuntu. I think I'll give it some more time to fully mature before I pick it up.

Beans

Besides ZFS, and the network virtualization system, I think that Solaris kernel is far better than the Linux kernel. The only thing I think makes Linux seem better to so many people is that it has been open source far longer than most other kernels. This means it had the opportunity to gain a wider audience and more support. Hence, it has more hardware support (more so than even Windoze).
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ZFS is an interesting and important feature of OpenSolaris, however it is not the only one. The latest release is really quite an improvement on 2008.05, and things will only get better. Indeed, OpenSolaris is definitely a system to watch.

However ZFS and OpenSolaris are not the only systems making innovations. DragonFlyBSD (a fork from the FreeBSD 4.x series) has the HAMMER filesystem, which is an interesting departure from ZFS.

Read more about HAMMER here:
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    If you want try Nexenta, its a Ubuntu port that uses ZFS and Solaris kernel
    Will that make Nexenta as the first GNU/Solaris? or is OpenSolaris it the first one? If I'm right, Opensolaris uses GNOME right?
    If somebody tells you "Proprietary Software created jobs", tell them "so did marijuana".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by creek23 View Post
    Will that make Nexenta as the first GNU/Solaris? or is OpenSolaris it the first one? If I'm right, Opensolaris uses GNOME right?
    open-solaris has some ofsprings where as there is belenix and nexenta that is using many of the gnu tools. open-solaris uses gnome but belenix uses both kde and xfce on a livecd that can be installed on usb stick by running the commmand pfexec usbdump it can also be installed to harddisk of course. it has compiz enabled per default and it has many programs installed but i do not know nexenta since the cd i tried to install worked fine but once the system was installed it started up and at boot i saw a boot screen sayin nexenta and then just a black screen. belenix i use on a usb stick and i been using open-solaris for around 4 or 5 month on my new computer that serves as my office computer.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Luke has no name View Post
    Opensolaris is looking like the go-to operating system for server environments. Reading some ZFS usage docs, it's the best filesystem available for many reasons: Snapshots, transactions, and the combination of disk manager and filesystem are very appealing.
    I'll second the tip on HAMMER above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I'll second the tip on HAMMER above.
    Agreed. I am defiantly going to check out Nexenta. This look like an amazing project.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nxion View Post
    Agreed. I am defiantly going to check out Nexenta. This look like an amazing project.
    I tried Nexenta. It didn't amaze me much. DragonFlyBSD (with the aforementioned HAMMER) is a bit more interesting [to me].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast