Thread: cannot mount drive

Beans

cannot mount drive

Hi, I am currently running ubuntu on my eeePc. Recently I had to use a live CD (which I put on an SD card) to put a root password in. (This was so I could run fsck manually on my hard drive after an unclean shutdown) Now I cannot mount an sd card and I receive this message when I attempt to mount it in the terminal

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so

If I try to mount it using gnome it says that I cannot mount it because mount requires superuser authorization.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, I really need my sd card reader to work. (it does not mount any SD card I use)
    Last edited by tennanja; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling, grammer

Beans

Re: cannot mount drive

So I can mount my SD card if i use a usb card reader that I had sitting around, but I still cannot use the built in SD card reader to mount it.

Beans

Re: cannot mount drive

So n ow it gets even weirder, when I booted up my laptop today (with the SD card in the usb reader and the reader plugged in, the card would not mount from the usb card reader, but when I tried the laptop's built in card reader it worked just fine. Its the same card that I was using yesterday, the only thing that changed is that the card was in the other reader when I booted the computer, but I've never had a problem with the card being in the reader when I booted before.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be really great because I have no idea what could be causing this problem, yesterday I was beginning to think that it might have been a hardware failure, but now I'm leaning to a BIOS problem or at least a issue during start up.

I'm not really sure where to start, especially as I'm rather new to Linux, so like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.