Thread: Can I make my PC a mass storage device using a USB data link cable?

Beans

Can I make my PC a mass storage device using a USB data link cable?

I'd like to set up my file server to act as a USB mass storage device for another device (A DVD player that can read from USB) hooked up by a USB link cable. That is to say, I'd like to run a USB cable between the server and the DVD player and have the DVD player read from the server as a mass storage device. It seems like it should be possible but SourceForge, Freshmeat, and Google have let me down. Is this possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can I make my PC a mass storage device using a USB data link cable?

Quote Originally Posted by algernon83 View Post
    I'd like to set up my file server to act as a USB mass storage device for another device (A DVD player that can read from USB) hooked up by a USB link cable. That is to say, I'd like to run a USB cable between the server and the DVD player and have the DVD player read from the server as a mass storage device. It seems like it should be possible but SourceForge, Freshmeat, and Google have let me down. Is this possible?
    I seriously doubt it.

Devices that use a USB connection for storage assume exclusive access and control of the storage device, with any running multi-user O/S that cannot be guaranteed and the protocol would not be able to handle that.

If you want cheap USB storage, buy an external box designed exactly for that job.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Thanks for the tip. Well, maybe the better plan is to use a network-capable media player and leave my file server as is.

Beans

Ah - two years down the line, and I'd like to do exactly the same.... looks like I'll have to just physically unplug the device and plug it into the TV.
    Shame.

Beans

Actually, there are active "USB copy cables" that will turn a host into a slave kindathing so that you can transfer files between two PCs using USB. That *may* work. However, it is likely cheaper and less trouble to just use a USB memory stick.

Beans

I don't see the point of this? IF you want it as a USB storage device then you would be better with just a large external USB drive you could plug in any PC. If you want a server accesable to all, you would be better off networking it.

Beans

I was looking into something like this for my CiragoTV Mini. It plays DivX videos from USB, SD, MMC, and Memory Stick. Many times on these forums people get too caught up in the "why" of things rather than the "how." You've explained what you want to do. I will concur that this does not seem to be viable. However there is an option that I'm thinking about...

Rather than spending $80-100 on a Roku box, alternatively you can use a USB switch to (almost) accomplish what you want to do. I'm guessing that you already have a USB stick. A USB switch such as this one, http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Sha...4620915&sr=1-9 will allow you to attach a mass storage device to both your computer and your DVD player. All you have to do is copy your files over to the USB stick, unmount, then press a button to switch to the DVD player.