Thread: Zyxel G-302 V3/Jaunty/Compaq - Boot failure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Zyxel G-302 V3/Jaunty/Compaq - Boot failure

Hi All,

I'm a noob concerning Ubuntu but I did manage to install the 9.04 version without problems .
    However, when I boot my system with my wifi-card plugged Ubuntu fails to boot

Details:
    System: Compaq EVO D510 CMT
    Pentium 4 processor (2400 MHz)

Wifi-card: Zyxel G-302 V3 802.11g PCI adapter
    3.3V 32-bit PCI v2.2
    [updat] Chipset: Realtek 8185L

Hope anyone can help me out
    Last edited by Gert-Jan; May 5th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.

Beans

Re: Zyxel G-302 V3/Jaunty/Compaq - Boot failure

I saw your link over on Jaunty experiences. Don't know a thing about wireless but I see you have had this up for a while.

Why don't you check over at;

http://www.linuxquestions.org/

They are sometimes better at hardware questions. This is my main source but they are #2. With my son they are #1.

I would also run a net search for your card in relation to Ubuntu. It may already be out there.

Welcome to Ubuntu, Jaunty and ext4 are great (even if I still use Hardy for my main data -I like LTS). I am on Jaunty now (trying Stoner Edition ).
    Last edited by ranch hand; May 6th, 2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: addendum
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tips!

In the mean time I did find that there are people that are using this Zyxel wireless card with Ubuntu (should be working with Ndiswrapper) and I followed the installation process but still: the moment I put the card in the computer Ubuntu fails to boot...

The search continues...

Beans

I would put the card in the box, boot from the LiveCD and configure the driver from there. This may stop the boot freeze problem.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

Hi ranch hand,
    I might try that but I found another solution that works
    Got my hands on a Siemens Gigaset USB 108 card which works with ndiswrapper without any problems. Try the other one some time on a rainy sunday afternoon

Anyway, thanks again for your effort to help me.

Beans

I have read about quite a few people with wireless problems. Seems to me that the thing to do now that the thing is working is let it be.

I may just be too old but the security of wilreless scares me.

Beans
    Distro

Well, you may be right but I would like to try it for fun. I might be able to help someone else with it...

Beans

I sure can't argue with that. i started multi booting to avoid breaking the OS we USE.

I dual booted Hardy/Hardy. One to play with and one we still use as our "primary". I actually use Jaunty most of the time. If there is something we want to keep, business and such, it is still that partition that we use.

One thing you may like to know is that you can copy a partition with gparted. It will need the /boot/grub/menu.lst edited so that it will boot from where you put it but it works quite well if the partition you are copying is good. Nice backup if you want to try something that may break things.