Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Office

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Open Office

When giving reasons why Linux will never make it on the desktop, many people often cite some "killer app" available on Windows but not Linux. A big one, especially in the enterprise setting, is Microsoft Office. The reason they say it can't really be replaced by something like Open Office is incompatibility with MS Office file formats. I don't really buy that, mainly because every time an organization upgrades to a new version of MS Office, they face the same problem. Documents from Office 97 may not render correctly on Office 2003 and documents from Office 2007 may not open at all in Office XP. So, other than the file formats, what are some other reasons why people cling to MS Office and seem to despise Open Office (Other than the paper clip, I know how much everybody love him)?
    Guide to forum text formatting code. Please use them | Use descriptive thread titles.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Open Office

The Microsoft label?

For some reason if a product has a big corporation logo on it (Intel, Microsoft, AMD, Apple, etc...) people tend to thing it is better than other alternatives.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    The Microsoft label?

For some reason if a product has a big corporation logo on it (Intel, Microsoft, AMD, Apple, etc...) people tend to thing it is better than other alternatives.
    I wonder, if Sun prominently put their name in the name, would that make a difference to IT execs?
    Guide to forum text formatting code. Please use them | Use descriptive thread titles.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Protip: try inserting an image in OOo Writer and then rotating it.

Then you'll understand why anyone in his right mind will prefer MS Office.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

I just did rotate an image and it worked fine. Open office is far superior performance wise handling long documents. Just compare them sometime. Wouldn't be without it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    I just did rotate an image and it worked fine..
    Mind telling us how you did that?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Insert/Picture then a floating tool frame appears on the right side there are Flip vertical and Flip horizontal choices. Pretty easy. You might be talking about the ability to adjust the picture at another angle? It appears not to do that. I think most wouldn't use that anyway.

Beans

HymnToLife
    Protip: try inserting an image in OOo Writer and then rotating it.

Then you'll understand why anyone in his right mind will prefer MS Office.
    I am sysadmin to a school and we use Foss on all our computer ubuntu precisely .. and we use openoffice without a problem and am in the right state if mind. its really sad to see an Ubuntu forums staff spreading FUD.
    Last edited by bigbrovar; December 31st, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    I am sysadmin to a school and we use Foss on all our computer ubuntu precisely .. and we use openoffice without a problem and am in the right state if mind. its really sad to see an Ubuntu forums staff spreading Fud.
    Just because it's Foss it doesn't make it good. I much prefer Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.Org

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Just because it's Foss it doesn't make it good. I much prefer Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.Org
    i have no probem with you using what works for u. open office works for me too and that is why i prefer it to MS Word. the fact that you pay over $150 on a software doesn't have to make it better than a free alternative .. i find your statement that implies any body who prefer openoffice to MS office is not in their state of mind .. i mean are u not suppose to be an ubuntu forum staff ..? what ever happened to the ubuntu code of conduct? or am i missing something
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast