Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Office

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Open Office

Open Office does the job just fine for many millions. It outperforms the bloated MS office in my book. Writer, Calc and Impress are noble and fine pieces of software. We should be careful not to heap insult on them.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Mind telling us how you did that?
    Insert pic into a "presentation", rotate at will, copy and paste into text document, where it remain rotatable.

Or:

Insert an "object" of type "drawing" into your text document, insert pic file into drawing, rotate at will. Also copy from drawing and paste into text doc.

There might be a way to directly insert a pic into the text document which then can be rotated, but I have yet to find that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    i have no probem with you using what works for u. Open office works for me too and that is why i prefer it to ms word. The fact that you pay over $150 on a software doesn't have to make it better than a free alternative .. I find your statement that implies any body who prefer openoffice to ms office is not in their state of mind .. I mean are u not suppose to be an ubuntu forum staff ..? What ever happened to the ubuntu code of conduct? Or am i missing something

+1

Agreed.

Remember, opinions are like arm pits. Everybody has at least 2.
    Last edited by 73ckn797; December 31st, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was so pissed off when I couldn't assign my favorite keyboard shortcut ("Ctrl Alt -") to em-dash (that is a long dash) in Writer - something that could be easily done in MS Office.

There were also some slight inconsistencies in .doc files saved in MS Office and in Writer, which I found annoying. But other than that I am quite happy with OpenOffice and use it every day and after about half a year of usage learned to love it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am sysadmin to a school and we use Foss on all our computer ubuntu precisely .. and we use openoffice without a problem and am in the right state if mind. its really sad to see an Ubuntu forums staff spreading FUD.
    i mean are u not suppose to be an ubuntu forum staff ..? what ever happened to the ubuntu code of conduct? or am i missing something
    Are you on the wind up? HymnToLife is more than entitled to have an opinion. Just because he is a staff member doesn't mean that he has to be a FOSS zealot

I happen to agree with him. Microsoft Office is a fantastic program. In fact it's too good as it has more features than the average user would ever need or even understand how to use.

Anyway, before you yourself are judged to be guilty of spreading FUD, let's see what he actually said:

Protip: try inserting an image in OOo Writer and then rotating it.

Then you'll understand why anyone in his right mind will prefer MS Office.
    He didn't say Open Office wasn't a bad piece of software - it isn't. He didn't say that most users couldn't use Open Office without problems - they can. He didn't say that most users can't use Open Office for everything they need - they can. He pointed out a fairly basic limitation with Open Office and said that that will help people understand why most people would PREFER Microsoft Office. As in, Open Office is a great piece of software and does anything and everything most people need, but compared to Microsoft Office there is no comparison, Microsoft Office is much better software.

It's like me saying "anyone in their right mind would use Linux on a server rather than Windows Server". It's my opinion, one which I am FULLY entitled to, and Linux IS much better and more secure on servers than Windows Server.

One thing I dislike more than most is FOSS zealotry. Just because something is FOSS doesn't make it "better" in any way. There are some fantastic programs both FOSS and Propriatory. Firefox is the best web browser on the planet and it's FOSS, just like Microsoft Office is the best Office Suite on the planet and it's propriatory.

The simple fact is most people can get along just fine with Open Office. They don't need MS Office. However, anyone who isn't a zealot can recognise that MS Office is BY FAR the better program, and as such would always be the preferred choice by anyone in their right mind should MS ever open source it.
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    The simple fact is most people can get along just fine with Open Office. They don't need MS Office. However, anyone who isn't a zealot can recognise that MS Office is BY FAR the better program, and as such would always be the preferred choice by anyone in their right mind should MS ever open source it.

You started this paragraph well then seem to resort to a judgment of people being in their right mind because they would use one product over another. This is your opinion and like arm pits, I think, has a bad odor about it.

And that is my opinion!
    Last edited by 73ckn797; December 31st, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Protip: try inserting an image in OOo Writer and then rotating it.

Then you'll understand why anyone in his right mind will prefer MS Office.
    I'm in the right state of mind and I prefer OpenOffice.org.

As a matter of fact, even when I was using Windows (some years ago) and had on my desktop the ultimate version of Microsoft Office I only used OpenOffice.org... Why? Because it's better.

Therefore, I could also say that anyone in his right mind will prefer OpenOffice.org, but I don't want to reach the low level of discourse you achieved on your post.

I also think your post is a gross violation of the Forum Rules, so I will report it to the Staff, cause I also think no staff member is allowed to stand himself above the rules...

Finally, you also spread FUD and made false allegations. If you are not very competente with OpenOffice.org, that's your fault. As other people had demonstrated here, it's perfectly possibly and easy to rotate images on Openoffice.org (which, I must remember you, is a integrated suite...) and even on one of its parts - Writer.

Beans

Okay Okay everyone needs to chill out...

Everyone is acting like a bunch of FANBOYS!!!

First, do any of you realize HymnToLife has not been online for an hour?

Second, he might have not known OpenOffice was able to do such things,hint he asked how to do so.

Thirdly, if this forum keeps acting like this, it only proves my point and many others about how it has become nothing more then a zealot/fanboy forum :/.

Really people chill out everyone has the right to think what they want and get corrected if needed.

Beans

I am a fan of open office, but frankly the database in it stinks. Other than that I use open office for everything else.

Have a grand day

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Just a few reasons why people would prefer MS Office:
    - Grammar Check
    - Macro compatibility
    - Ability to use Visual Basic scripts (especially in Excel when included functions don't cut it)
    - A user interface that doesn't look like it's from the mid 90's
    - Access - for which OO.o doesn't have a viable solution (even though they're getting closer in v.3)

If you take a step back from fanboyism, MS Office is definitely better than OO.o. But for me, the benefits don't come close to outweighing the cost difference. So I use OpenOffice, and I'm happy with it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast