Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Dooming Itself?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mac Dooming Itself?

If Apple wanted to do that, they very well could. They introduced the Mac Mini for $500 and I guess it didn't sell too well. The low-price desktop computer market is already flooded and very competitive. They know who their core market is -- high end, high quality computer buyers -- and they are doing (increasingly) well in that market.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

apples doing just fine, theyre ganna hit the roof in a couple years at their current pricing scheme cause only so many people are gullible enough to pay the mac tax, then theyll have to make a decesion to continue charging 500$+ extra for the same hardware (fanboy: blah blah its better blah. me: its the same hardware since they use intel now, you can find other laptops and desktops with the same equipment for a better price)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    If Apple wanted to do that, they very well could. They introduced the Mac Mini for $500 and I guess it didn't sell too well. The low-price desktop computer market is already flooded and very competitive. They know who their core market is -- high end, high quality computer buyers -- and they are doing (increasingly) well in that market.
    Thats what I was thinking.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    Thats what I was thinking.
    Aye

Beans
    Hidden!

Also, you can't just compare Mac and PC hardware directly and claim that there's a "Mac Tax." Mac software running on Mac hardware has different performance than Linux or Windows software running on PC hardware. You have to look at the overall performance/price ratio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    not a major weakness... the only weakness!
    Yeh, lemme just fire up ol' LotRO and... oh, I can't. But hey, at least I can play TF2 at something over "slideshow"... nope. Hmmm, seems like you forgot gaming.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    Right now mac has very few people using it (compared to windows), I believe it is because of the fact that their prices hit the roof, if apple wanted to become number one, all they have to do is start selling systems for between $400-$1,000, and they would be bought out so fast, that the world would stop!

DISCUSS...
    Not every company is in a race to the bottom to be "number one".

Consider any Superior good or Veblen good, for example.

There are many metrics for success.
    Me and U(buntu) - My blog about Ubuntu and related issues.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ OP:

No, it's three different things you're talking about (or inferring) here.

Microsoft continues to hemorrhage customers because of issues with Vista. Apple continues to gain market share based on gaining traction and credibility with individuals and businesses. Linux continues to increase it's share because of it's established credibility, people finding there actually are alternatives to Windows, and that those alternatives are viable.

Apple is in it's own unique position. They are the only PC maker who is able to have (and hold on to) the very significant profit margins they are. Part of the reason they're doing well is that they don't present themselves as "being like everyone else", and because of the psychology associated with pricing. Apple doesn't sell anything for bargain-basement pricing, and I doubt they likely ever will. It's not that they couldn't sell even a $400 laptop or $200 desktop system fully capable of running Mac OS X, both things which arguably would get them more sales. It's that they wish to differentiate themselves by price-pointing their products such that people feel like they've actually bought better than that plastic Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo or Gateway laptop they also saw on the shelf.

Like it or not, it's a strategy that works.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    Also, you can't just compare Mac and PC hardware directly and claim that there's a "Mac Tax." Mac software running on Mac hardware has different performance than Linux or Windows software running on PC hardware. You have to look at the overall performance/price ratio.
    its the same hardware, intel chips, intel processors, and intel/nvidia/ati chipsets, silcon image storage controllers, its all the exact same, when it was ppc you had a point but now its not, the mac tax is what youre paying to use osx, and its not worth it

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bufsabre666 View Post
    its the same hardware, intel chips, intel processors, and intel/nvidia/ati chipsets, silcon image storage controllers, its all the exact same, when it was ppc you had a point but now its not, the mac tax is what youre paying to use osx, and its not worth it
    Even when it was a PPC, it still contained Intel/Nvidia/ATi chipsets, an Intel IDE controller, a Foxconn motherboard, and was all designed to Intel specifications (including the AGP and RAM busses).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast