Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless network security questions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Wireless network security questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tom--d View Post
    I cannot have WPA on my router. There is no update for it either. Its a Linksys HG200
    Then you'll need to decide if your security is worth the $50 or so it will cost to purchase a new router.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
    Then you'll need to decide if your security is worth the $50 or so it will cost to purchase a new router.
    I would recommend it highly.
    Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team
    Compiz Problems? Click here
    You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and and endless supply of expendable labor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

he already said he couldn't upgrade it.

well, if you can't get a new one with WPA/WPA2(remember to use AES as there is a TKIP vulnerability) and you can't connect to WEP(which is as useful as a bit of wet toilet paper against a browning .50 cal at point blank range) then no encryption is your only choice, hiding SSID's is similarly useless. guess you are just going to have to go in the open unless you can convince whoever is in charge of the router to buy a decent one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    he already said he couldn't upgrade it.

well, if you can't get a new one with WPA/WPA2(remember to use AES as there is a TKIP vulnerability) and you can't connect to WEP(which is as useful as a bit of wet toilet paper against a browning .50 cal at point blank range) then no encryption is your only choice, hiding SSID's is similarly useless. guess you are just going to have to go in the open unless you can convince whoever is in charge of the router to buy a decent one.
    mm... I could convince my dad to get a new one

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

offer to pay for a bit of it yourself. even set up a demonstration to show him how useless WEP encryption is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Before you spend $50 on a new router, why are you worried about it? If you say you want your privacy, then I'd say go for it. Any site where you should be worried about sensitive information <cough>banks, investment firms, you school<\cough> should already be providing SSL/TLS connectivity where needed and are probably required to secure personal data by law.

Admittedly, there are universities who don't do SSL/TLS secured access to their email accounts (I used to go to one) so that may be a great reason. But you didn't indicate you had such concerns, so it kind of begs the question . . . why are you worried about it?

On an aside, just because you want to play with it is also cool
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

SSL/TLS is not a substitute for a secure wireless network. Allowing anyone into your LAN opens up the connected PCs to all kinds of attacks, especially if you have file/printer sharing or other local services enabled between PCs. It also allows others to consume your bandwidth and do illegal things on the Internet that can be traced back to your IP address. Spend the 50 bucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Bruce Schneier's Open Wifi Commentary

Offered as an FYI. Bottom line: If you see it as worth it, go for it.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

IMO WEP is probably sufficient for casual home use. Yes it can be quickly cracked, but who cares?

Now if you are conducting banking or financial transactions or if you have unfriendly tech savy neighbors then upgrade your router.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12