Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress has gone linux native

Beans

Re: Dwarf Fortress has gone linux native

So im a bit confused. There is no linux download in the downloads area. The first post links to the recent developments section. There you can find a link to download the linux version. Currently the newest is from 01/09/2009 which is version df_28_181_40d9. The newest version on the main download page (again not linux option here) is df_28_181_40.

So I'm assuming the downloads in the development section are not stable releases but why is there no stable linux release under the downloads section? Is it because the linux port is so new?

Ok so I looked into this a bit before posting. In the development section logs from previous years the first linux mention occurs on 12/22/2008. There a link is provided and thanks to Bernard Heyler for the linux port.

So I guess this mostly clears up my confusion. Any word on how stable the linux version is vs the windows one in wine? I will go for the linux first because that is much preferable. Also any idea why the linux version is not on the download page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

cool thanks for update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use the linux version and it seems to be just as stable. I don't know why he hasn't put a link on the front page except that the linux version was created some time after the .40 windows/mac release. I imagine he will update the front page with the next release which is still months away.

One caveat/clarification, though, it is still alpha which indicates "not stable enough for everyday use," but I have not been able to crash the game the months I have been playing it. There is a setting in the init.ini that makes the game save each year/season automatically and this setting is recommended for now.

Beans

sounds great thanks for the info. Now I just need some free time to give it a whirl.

Beans

So I found some time to finally give dwarf fortress a shot. Unfortunately I did not make it very far. Ive extracted the game into a folder named dwarfort. In a terminal when I run the df regardless of whether I have CDed into the dwarfort directory I get this error.

Code:
    /home/data/games/dwarfort/df: 5: ./dwarfort.exe: not found
    I don't know what to do at this point. First I'm a bit confused as to why it is trying to use a .exe file. I don't have wine installed and are talking about running it native in linux but no one else here seems to have had a problem with this so I imagine its alright.

The other issue that I think may come into play here is that this is an x86-64 ubuntu install. I realize I have no idea whether dwarf fortress can run on 64 bit systems.

So any ideas? What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For whatever reason the "df" script can't find the "dwarfort.exe" file (dwarfort.exe is kind of a misnomer as it won't run in wine or windows compiled as it is for linux but it is the binary program in this case). "dwarfort.exe" needs to be in the same folder as the "df" script. Could the zip file have been corrupted when you dl'd it?

As for the 64-bit OS you should look at the previous page of this thread posts 15-17 if you have trouble. They have a link to the DF forums.
    Last edited by juanoleso; March 19th, 2009 at 05:26 AM.

Beans

not sure if this is the exact problem you described, but dwarfort.exe is not on your path by default, so you'll have to type the entire location of the file. i.e.,

Code:
    jahred@jahred-vaio:~/df/df_linux$ ~/df/df_linux/dwarfort.exe
    i'm having a problem running it myself;

Code:
    jahred@jahred-vaio:~/df/df_linux$ ~/df/df_linux/dwarfort.exe
    /home/jahred/df/df_linux/dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libfmodex.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    i have the sdl libraries installed. i tried using the getlibs package that someone suggested earlier, but still no luck

Code:
    jahred@jahred-vaio:~/df/df_linux$ getlibs ~/df/df_linux/dwarfort.exe
    No match for libfmodex.so
    anyone have any ideas?

EDIT:
    i realized i had to install fmod, fixed and working great.
    Last edited by jahred; March 19th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For that I do know and I think I know what is going on here. I'm pretty sure you must be in the same folder that the dwarfort.exe file is in. Then you need to run the "df" script from there.

(i.e.)

Code:
    noleson@tty1093vm:~$ ~/Desktop/df_linux/df
    /home/noleson/Desktop/df_linux/df: 5: ./dwarfort.exe: not found
    noleson@tty1093vm:~$ ~/Desktop/df_linux/dwarfort.exe 
    /home/noleson/Desktop/df_linux/dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libfmodex.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    you must:

Code:
    noleson@tty1093vm:~$ cd Desktop/df_linux/
    noleson@tty1093vm:~/Desktop/df_linux$ ./df

Beans

I downloaded the df linux files from the dev page again and am still getting the dwarfort.exe not found error regardless of whether I run df from the dwarfort.exe folder or not.

For running an an x86-64 system what packages precisely do I need to install?

I followed the link to the df forums, there it appears I should install ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk from the repositories. Also a 32bit version of libsdl. I have not found any package libsdl however there are many that start with this and have a longer name.

ziwerliz above said he needed to install from getlibs libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 libaa.so.1 libslang.so.2 libgpm.so.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well...as a work around, you could open the /df_linux/libs folder and copy as root the files "libfmodex.so" and "libgcc_s.so.1" to your /usr/lib folder and then make sure the permissions on those files lets everyone read them. Then you should be able to just:

Code:
    noleson@tty1093vm:~$ cd Desktop/df_linux/
    noleson@tty1093vm:~/Desktop/df_linux$ ./dwarfort.exe
    if it still comes up with the cannot find error, then its just that. The file is missing or renamed or something. If you want to work on it, would you please do an "ls" on your df_linux folder and then copy the output here?

Code:
    noleson@tty1093vm:~/Desktop/df_linux$ ls
    command line.txt  dwarfort.exe      libs          readme.txt
    data              file changes.txt  raw           release notes.txt
    df                gamelog.txt       README.linux  sdl
    noleson@tty1093vm:~/Desktop/df_linux$

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast