Thread: Is Nexenta for beginners? (Or is it like Fedora?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is Nexenta for beginners? (Or is it like Fedora?)

I plan on trying opensuse (to have a rpm compatible distro as well) AND PC-BSD for an easy BSD Desktop OS.....

However, I'd like to also try something in the Solaris Branch (And Belenix is still in alpha, so I don't feel comfortable with using alpha anything)

So, I came across Nexenta,now that version 1 is out, which says Solaris Kernel, but with Ubuntu??? (Don't quite understand what this means as far as security and also software) (Does it run linux programs or solaris programs?) so its linux or solaris?

I'm kind of a beginner, with under 2 years Linux use, but i'm very comfortable in ubuntu. I had beeb steered away from Fedora and RedHat in the past because id heard those were advanced distros, so *********Does Nexenta fit into that "advanced" category? Or is it easy to use for beginners (like Ubuntu)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Is Nexenta for beginners? (Or is it like Fedora?)

Hmm, either way it looks like I have a new toy to throw into a VirtualBox VM. ^.^
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would not recommend Nexenta for beginners. It is still a work in progress, and my stance may change with the release of 2.0. If you are interested in Solaris, give OpenSolaris a try. Solaris, in any variation, is a different beast than Linux, especially Ubuntu. Try it in a virtual machine, as already suggested.

Also, I would not call Fedora an "advanced" distribution. You may have to learn a few things that differ from Ubuntu, but if you've learned the ins and outs of Ubuntu, you can definitely handle trying Fedora, which, IMO, is easier to understand and use than even openSUSE, which you've mentioned.

Good luck!
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

OK, maybe I will do more research then, and keep Fedora and Open Solaris as a possibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if you have a spare usb stick then you can try nexenta by runnning the command pfexec usbdump from the livecd and have it installed on a usb stick. i use that alot now instead of live cd. i would reccomend as a open-solaris user to try that out too. it is no where near as mature as linux at the moment but for me everything works perfect. i have a new amd64 computer which is total compatible with open-solaris so i been using it for some month now. belenix i would not install to ohter things than a usb stick at the moment. even that belenix has a lot more programs preinstalled. and two desktops to choose from. xfce and kde.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans

I wouldn't recommend Nexenta to a "beginner". It isn't complete enough yet. Instead, just try OpenSolaris 2008.11.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't consider Fedora any more "difficult" than Ubuntu. And I prefer DesktopBSD over PC-BSD, but your mileage may vary.