Thread: How to beat MS in Lebanon

Beans

How to beat MS in Lebanon

To all those "Ubuntunites" in Lebanon,

As the title suggests, the aim of this post is to get the name of Linux and especially Ubuntu out there into the Lebanese circles. MS has a strangle hold on LB and seems to be enjoying the full market share, but more and more people are getting fed up with the security issues involved in having MS on your computer.

What we need to do is get into the schools. As an administrator of a school in Lebanon and a user of Ubuntu, this is where you can change the publics view of linux. As linux users in Lebanon we need to make a push in that direction and get schools to change over to open-source software. The only way that schools will even consider this is if they have support. I know of two schools in Lebanon that have linux partially or fully on their systems and that is because they have support in the school.

If we want Ubuntu to take off in Lebanon as the easiest transition from XP then we as a community need to get involved with our local schools and educational departments and offer help. Personally I have witnessed individuals as staff and students first are 'frightened' by the new look and then as they see that it does the same thing, they embrace it. I have personally installed Ubuntu on 4 teachers laptops as they have had issues with XP and as they get used to the way Ubuntu works they have said how they are enjoying the freedom and lack of viruses.

Nobody likes something different, but we need to offer support and help and then the question is "Why not use an OS that is better, more stable and free?" Schools on tight budgets will have no answer and that allows us to put our foot in the door.

This is how we beat MS in Lebanon.

Beans

Re: How to beat MS in Lebanon

Quote Originally Posted by lebbok View Post
    To all those "Ubuntunites" in Lebanon,

As the title suggests, the aim of this post is to get the name of Linux and especially Ubuntu out there into the Lebanese circles. MS has a strangle hold on LB and seems to be enjoying the full market share, but more and more people are getting fed up with the security issues involved in having MS on your computer.

What we need to do is get into the schools. As an administrator of a school in Lebanon and a user of Ubuntu, this is where you can change the publics view of linux. As linux users in Lebanon we need to make a push in that direction and get schools to change over to open-source software. The only way that schools will even consider this is if they have support. I know of two schools in Lebanon that have linux partially or fully on their systems and that is because they have support in the school.

If we want Ubuntu to take off in Lebanon as the easiest transition from XP then we as a community need to get involved with our local schools and educational departments and offer help. Personally I have witnessed individuals as staff and students first are 'frightened' by the new look and then as they see that it does the same thing, they embrace it. I have personally installed Ubuntu on 4 teachers laptops as they have had issues with XP and as they get used to the way Ubuntu works they have said how they are enjoying the freedom and lack of viruses.

Nobody likes something different, but we need to offer support and help and then the question is "Why not use an OS that is better, more stable and free?" Schools on tight budgets will have no answer and that allows us to put our foot in the door.

This is how we beat MS in Lebanon.

thats a really good idea.. but dont you think that is we start in schools we would be forcing the os to the students and faculty there?? i think there should be a start with the regular computer users, such as the students and regular people... as long as the current ubuntu users should offer support to the new comers so that the transition will not be as frightening... a wise strategy is to start with the bottom and build it up... if the ubuntu os is mentioned more between young adults then we can increase the marketing efforts into bigger and wider markets...the MS days are numbered, a system built to fail cant possibly be dominant over the lebanese market for long... so bit by bit we'll breach the market, but that can only happen id we spread the os in the safe way that will make the new user feel safer with the trandition.

always ready and willing to hear new ideas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pierreyy View Post
    thats a really good idea.. but dont you think that is we start in schools we would be forcing the os to the students and faculty there?? i think there should be a start with the regular computer users, such as the students and regular people... as long as the current ubuntu users should offer support to the new comers so that the transition will not be as frightening... a wise strategy is to start with the bottom and build it up... if the ubuntu os is mentioned more between young adults then we can increase the marketing efforts into bigger and wider markets...the MS days are numbered, a system built to fail cant possibly be dominant over the lebanese market for long... so bit by bit we'll breach the market, but that can only happen id we spread the os in the safe way that will make the new user feel safer with the trandition.

always ready and willing to hear new ideas

Nice to know more people are getting exceited about this (i.e.; Ubuntu & facing MS).

My viewpoint is: We should increase our efforts (individually first) to spread Ubuntu (& Linux, not just Ubuntu) to people we know or meet.
    Moreover, this individul (& volunteer) work is discussed in the LoCo team in Lebanon, thus sharing & benifiting from others stories & helping each other.
    Besides, When it comes to institutions & companies, the team should be the main contact, & not an individual.

I therefore would be happy if the team (which seems inactive) gets to meet for real & put down a plan to follow.

P.S.: though this forum is a great place, but I believe that joining the mailing list (which is also currently inactive) would be best.
    [Dell Studio XPS 1640] [Core2Duo P8700 2.53GHz] [500/4GB][ATI Radeon HD 4670] [12.04/Win7]
    [Dell Inspiron 8600] [? 1.73GHz] [80/1 GB] [-] [10.04/XP]
    [No Brand] [PIII (Coppermine) 1GHz] [80GB/248 MB] [-] [#!/lubuntu 11.10/XP]

Beans

Hi,

Ok! I am new to the forum; but I've been a Linux User since 1995 ( ouch am an old man!), I will be starting a Linux based computer store either in Beirut or in Tyr --all depends on investment cost, rent, etc-- I believe the Lebanese market is a difficult place to push for anything that does not say "Microsoft" on its label! Also, software piracy and the lack of any ethical standard ( I wish Microsoft could help us with this matter; then we would have a strong initiative to provide open source solutions to the consumer and business markets alike! What we actually need to do is market to businesses ( small to midsize) and to corporations, because they can be held liable if they use pirated software. So, let's market first to businesses and later create a non-profit support organization of Linux Power Users to help spread the technology throughout the Lebanon! Perhaps, a conference or a meeting of all Lebanese Linux Users should be organized sooner than later!

Good Luck.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great to hear that there is an active movement to "push" Ubuntu in Lebanon.

One of the main problems facing the open source product in countries like Lebanon is the fact that Micr*s*ft will target schools and universities with subsidised or free copies of their products to ensure that children and students become dependent on the product early on and do not even consider that there is an alternative. This is similar to what C*ca-C*la and Marlb*ro did in Africa.

If you have the opportunity to get involved in educating children about Ubuntu then you have the opportunity to give them the lifelong gift of free and open source software.

The fact that the OP was able to get some teachers to switch should help to build a knowledge base in the schools . Maybe they would let you do presentations in the schools in the area and you could distribute live cd's?

Congratulations for your good efforts and keep up the good work!!!