Thread: Ctrl+alt+backspace with confirmation possible?

Beans

Ctrl+alt+backspace with confirmation possible?

Hi

I learned ctrl+alt+backspace to reset the x server, while configuring nvidia settings manager following instructions on a thread. It directly closed all applications. I am glad that i found this particular command, it shall become useful, but i thought i wouldnt quite like to do the same command while working on some hard art with the gimp, accidently. Or at any other possible activities. So, my question is: "would it be possible to add some comfirmation dialog box to the alt+ctrl+backspace key combinaison?" (Even if X is deep under all the rest of ubuntu... Like, i guess, one of linux's cores...)

The idea is more for general users and misc happenings than with me and my own self. I shall be ok with the command but someone could fall on the same key chain and lose documents, one day.. That's more the point. Altruism
    thanx

-Leopold-François Depardieu
    -(mfhsbtj)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ctrl+alt+backspace with confirmation possible?

You can disable it with:
    Option “DontZap” “yes”
    In the "ServerFlags" section.

I don't think there is a way to ask for confirmation ... nor should there be. The purpose is not to close all applications. The purpose is to re-set the X server itself, which means there is a problem. It's not a thing you should be doing on a regular basis.

It's pretty unlikely someone is going to "accidentally" hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.
    Me and U(buntu) - My blog about Ubuntu and related issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ushimitsudoki View Post
    I don't think there is a way to ask for confirmation ... nor should there be. ... The purpose is to re-set the X server itself, which means there is a problem.
    I agree. You'd use it when your X server / display manager / window manager is crashing. That's not the time you want to ask it to produce yet another dialog box.

Beans

thanks for your posts its a new information for me.and its great information so thanks again.

Beans

hmm... if i can disable it, mayby could i also change the key combination? Something as Lshift+ctrl+"windows+Rshift+delete would be more appropeiate for such a reset sequance ( when i try a new application, i always try my best to find all keyboard shortcuts and quick control moves )

A confirmation window could delay the x shutdown by 15 seconds, say something as "shutting down X server in "time"" and have a cancel button at its bottom.... But well.... Who cares, realy (not as if it was any priority) hehe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ushimitsudoki View Post
    It's pretty unlikely someone is going to "accidentally" hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.
    I tend to disagree... newly-converts might just press that combo out of old windows habits to start the task manager...

But then, if your system is so crippled that you can't even "click the log out buttons" anymore, then you really don't want any more confirmation before xserver gets resetted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    I tend to disagree... newly-converts might just press that combo out of old windows habits to start the task manager...

But then, if your system is so crippled that you can't even "click the log out buttons" anymore, then you really don't want any more confirmation before xserver gets resetted.
    Wasn't it alt+ctrl+del that started the task manager in windows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

didn't I just say that?

Beans

Untill i learned this ctrl+alt+backspace function i made myself to it. Its pretty useful tho! Its like a quick logoff

Yet... If i use it all the time as a logoff replacement that wont ever cause leaks right?

Talking logoffs... The hibernate function used to work but yesterday it made some crazy nonestop 2 error lines repeating.... Seems that was first and last time i could enjoy the power of hibernation hah......

so yeah, is ctrl+alt+backspace always safe, all the times?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is not a "quick logoff".

No it is not "always safe, all the times."

Don't use it to logoff. That's not what it is for. Use it to kill X if needed - like if you lose input devices, monitors go wonky, system locks up or things like that.

If you want a keyboard shortcut to logoff, set one up. Don't use Ctrl-Alt-BkSp
    Me and U(buntu) - My blog about Ubuntu and related issues.