Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Win Vista refuses to 'see' Ubuntu, even though it grants Ubuntu internet use

Beans

Win Vista refuses to 'see' Ubuntu, even though it grants Ubuntu internet use

Hello. Lets get too it. I have two computers networked via Lan to each other, with the Vista machine connected to DSL modem via USB. The Vista machine allows Ubuntu to use the internet through Vista but Vista just refuses to 'see' the Ubuntu machine in the Network Connections window. Ubuntu can see the Vista machine but not browse any folders.

I can ping Ubuntu rather successfully.
    I think I have activated Samba (right clicked a file on the desktop in Ubuntu and shared, it did some stuff and said it was all good).
    I have gone through the Vista wizards enough times I could probably write out what all the steps it takes you in a circle doing. Although I'm not opposed to doing them over again.
    Zone Alarm has Ubuntu's IP set to Trusted.

Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Win Vista refuses to 'see' Ubuntu, even though it grants Ubuntu internet use

What filesystem did you use? Windows doesn't read ext3. You have to install an ext3 driver so it can "see" your Ubuntu installation.
    [AMD AthlonX2 4000,Emaxx MCP61S-AVL,2GB Geil,7300GT 512MB,160GB]
    [Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965,Core2 P7350 2.0GHz,4GB RAM,200GB HDD]
    [Sony Vaio VGN-CR35G,Core2 T8100 2.10GHz,2GB RAM,200GB HDD]

Beans

Re: Win Vista refuses to 'see' Ubuntu, even though it grants Ubuntu internet use

This isn't a Vista issue.

I don't think Ubuntu installs with a Samba server by default. It will let you VIEW shares on a Windows network, but sharing your own files on that network is a different affair.

Try:

1) In Ubuntu, select the folder you want to share and right-click to select "Properties"

2) You will see the last tab to the right at the top - "Share"

3) Click "Share this folder". It will offer to install the sharing service for you. Follow the prompts from that point.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    This isn't a Vista issue.

I don't think Ubuntu installs with a Samba server by default. It will let you VIEW shares on a Windows network, but sharing your own files on that network is a different affair.

Try:

1) In Ubuntu, select the folder you want to share and right-click to select "Properties"

2) You will see the last tab to the right at the top - "Share"

3) Click "Share this folder". It will offer to install the sharing service for you. Follow the prompts from that point.
    Yes I did that trying to get Vista to share the internet connection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    What filesystem did you use? Windows doesn't read ext3. You have to install an ext3 driver so it can "see" your Ubuntu installation.
    Greetings. Would this http://www.fs-driver.org/ work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
    Greetings. Would this http://www.fs-driver.org/ work?
    Remote file systems do not matter when you are viewing over the network - at that point SMB is used.

Have you tried to completely disable ZoneAlarm? Even if the Ubuntu IP is set to trusted I've seen ZoneAlarm cause issues.

Thanks,
    Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

RickyJones is absolutely correct - the file system in use by each machine is completely irrelevant to networking issues. I have a home network with Ubuntu (ext3), XP (NTFS), Solaris (XFS) and Mac (??) machines all networked together without reference to file systems. Have a look at my networking guide, which gives a step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu so it is fully accessible to windows pc's:
    www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think I have activated Samba (right clicked a file on the desktop in Ubuntu and shared, it did some stuff and said it was all good).
    Do you use the same WORKGROUP ?
    See : /etc/samba/smb.conf

One other thing that can help is to make sure that all machine can reach the other machines by hostname.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonandrews View Post
    RickyJones is absolutely correct - the file system in use by each machine is completely irrelevant to networking issues. I have a home network with Ubuntu (ext3), XP (NTFS), Solaris (XFS) and Mac (??) machines all networked together without reference to file systems. Have a look at my networking guide, which gives a step by step guide to setting up Ubuntu so it is fully accessible to windows pc's:
    www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/
    On step 4 of your guide http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubun...%20Network.htm I can't even see the Ubuntu machine, even with ZoneAlarm turned off. I am using Vista, which from what I've seen on other forums, networks differently than XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On step 4 of your guide http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubun...%20Network.htm I can't even see the Ubuntu machine, even with ZoneAlarm turned off. I am using Vista, which from what I've seen on other forums, networks differently than XP.
    Networking is networking is networking.

1. Be sure that you are in the same subnet. Example, same IPs with the last number being different. Same subnet mask.

2. Verify that you can ping each machine via the IP. Worry about name resolution at another time.

3. Ensure that Folder and Printer Sharing is enabled on Vista. If I recall correctly it is disabled by default and this prevents Vista from seeing other computers.

4. Ensure that in Vista that your network is configured as a Home network so that you can discover other computers.

If all steps are successful then I'd be a little stumped as well.

Thanks,
    Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast