Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Xubuntu 7.10 on ibook PowerPC not loading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Xubuntu 7.10 on ibook PowerPC not loading

Read through this...

Been a while since I played with Xubutu, but I feel I am ready to give it a shot again.

I have a Apple Lombard 333MHz with 512MB ram, and a 12GB hard drive. What is the most recent version of Xubuntu that I can install and run? From the posts, am I correct to assume 8.04 and 8.10 will not run on the Powerbook?

I saw a download to 8.10 for PPC and was not sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Xubuntu 7.10 on ibook PowerPC not loading

Hello Stream,

You might want to make an attempt with OpenSuse before binning it. Perhaps it might get you over some of the hurdles if you don't mind downloading a DVD, or doing a netinstall
    I'll take a look at OpenSuse but will have to attempt a netinstall as the ibook doesn't have a DVD drive. Wouldn't REALLY bin it, just feel like turning into a skimming stone at times . It's now back in a cupboard and I'll look at it again in the future.

Many, many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have a Apple Lombard 333MHz with 512MB ram, and a 12GB hard drive. What is the most recent version of Xubuntu that I can install and run? From the posts, am I correct to assume 8.04 and 8.10 will not run on the Powerbook?
    6.06 runs OK on my ibook except for the wireless issue. Others seem to have installed 8.04 though.
    Last edited by ringsofsaturn; January 11th, 2009 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Stream,

Quick update; I had brief attempt at oponsuse but despite burning 2 discs couldn't get ibook to boot (net install). Did a re-install of Debian Etch AND managed to reconfigure xserver so as display now A1. Yay! Amazed myself that I could do this .So now have Debian running ok, slug-like but usable. STILL can't get it to work wirelessly with my Zyxel USB adaptor .

How did you get your G5 to go wireless?

BTW have posted on Debian forums but no reply as yet.

Thanks
    Last edited by ringsofsaturn; February 1st, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello again,

You may, or indeed may not, be interested to know how this issue was eventually resolved.

After much search engine work (usually leading back to this forum) I installed Ubuntu 8.04 server edition with Xubuntu desktop. Ni problem setting up wireless with my Zyxel adapter but still had the previously mentioned display problem. Could not get screen to display more than 75% or so of the desktop.

I eventually modified the xorg.conf file as Stream wisely had suggested I save this file from my 6.06 install (which displayed just fine - wouldn't connect wirelessly though) and cut n'pasted it's display/screen contents to 8.04's xorg.conf file. I made a multiplicity of mistakes with saving it and re-installed 8.04 on numerous occasions as I did not understand that I could save the previous xorg.conf flie ! Go on, have a laugh, I might just deserve it !!! Have probably installed various versions of Ubuntu/Debian over a dozen times on this ibook.Hmmm....Perhaps I deserve a plus for persistence (or being just stubborn..?).

Anyway I gave myself one last go at this task so cut and pasted JUST the screen/display sections from 6.06 to 8.04 AND saved it correctly. I was so confident in the knowledge that it would NOT work, so whilst ibook was re-booting I deleted all my Linux bookmarks from my XP desktop machine as I was DEFINITELY not going to EVER, EVER attempt this task again!

And it worked, a wireless 8.04 ibook g3 with a proper display . Amazing.

Just shows what a non-technical person can do with help (from this forum) and a little determination. Please forgive me if I sound self-congratulatory, What I have achieved might be simple to most of you but to me it was a mammoth task.

Now all I need is the sound issue to be resolved, the over sensitive touchpad (it's on the least sensitive setting) and the foul plasticky smelling keyboard. Really is disgusting .

Thanks to all especially Stream 303.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234