Thread: How to make Ubuntu Top panel to look like this screen....

Beans

Question How to make Ubuntu Top panel to look like this screen....

Hi guys

I want to make my Ubuntu 8.10 top panel to look like the panel in this screenshot:

http://visionsofart.deviantart.com/a...Linux-99037206

Can anyone please tell me how i can archive this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How to make Ubuntu Top panel to look like this screen....

You can download all the files from that page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

in short you do download the files listed on the left of the screen in the link you provided then with Emerald instaled (this can be done from synaptic) you apply the themes, if you need further help please feel free to write back

Beans

i have downloaded all the files from the site, already had installed emerald Theme manager and have applied the theme , all the windows look like the screenshot but the Panel doesn't change. Its still the same old Ubuntu Panel.

There is a gtk folder in the zip file too , but i couldn't find a way to use it, what program is used to import them into? what i do with all those files. because the emerald file only changes the windows themes but not the panel itself.

please help. Thank you

Beans

Ok look theres a folder named gtk inside that folder theres another folder named Gaia08 select that folder and right click it then select create archive then create a tar.gz archive and thats it drop the new tar.gz archive to your theme manager.

Beans

Even with the GTK theme installed your panel still won't look like that!

I doubt in that screenshot he is even using gnome, it might be some alternativ windows manager like fvwm, for which the config is not included.

Your best bet might be to contact the creator directly to find out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parajuito View Post
    Ok look theres a folder named gtk inside that folder theres another folder named Gaia08 select that folder and right click it then select create archive then create a tar.gz archive and thats it drop the new tar.gz archive to your theme manager.
    Hi , after a bit of Googling i figured to do exactly as you've written here, Only problem is that Now Ubuntu says "the theme might not look as intended because it's missing the required engine".

To say the least, the theme doesn't seem to be working, it's easy to tell since the skins on Panel, Windows ....etc look broken.

The engine this theme uses is "Pixmap", seem to be installed by Ubuntu since Synaptic says it is . i installed couple of more engines hoping it'll fix it but nothing.

I've kind of given up, Some people posted in this forum that the missing engine is false alarm and all should be good, not i'm my case since the theme doesn't appear as it should.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Beans

"The theme might not look as intended because it's missing the required engine." its a false alarm , it's because theres a part of the gtkrc that should have an engine but its missing to fix it just change the following code:

style "unstyle"
    {
    engine ""
    {
    }
    }

to:

style "unstyle"
    {
    engine "pixmap"
    {
    }
    }

I dont know why it looks broken in your computer but to me it seems all right except for the panel it doesnt looks like in the screenshot.

Beans

I finally know how this was done, it's a background image, the background does all the trick. xD

Look at the 6th comment: http://visionsofart.deviantart.com/a...et=40#comments
    Last edited by parajuito; December 30th, 2008 at 05:50 AM.