Thread: Ethernet Ubuntu PC to Windows XP wireless laptop

Beans

Ethernet Ubuntu PC to Windows XP wireless laptop

Hi.

I have read the how-to on internet connection sharing, but I am getting no love for an internet connection

My set up that I am trying to get to work is as follows:

[Ubuntu desktop] - Ethernet Cable - [Windows XP laptop] - Wireless Connection - [Wireless Router] - [ADSL modem] - [La la land]

Is there any way to get my Ubuntu box to recognize the wireless card on my XP laptop, and use it? I have tried to turn my laptop into a Gateway, and it still will not even see the laptop.

I'm quite new to Ubuntu, obviously. It would be much easier to experiment with if I can get a connection from my room and not have to haul the desktop to my router and hard wire it.

Beans

Re: Ethernet Ubuntu PC to Windows XP wireless laptop

Quote Originally Posted by hougSTAR View Post
    Hi.

I have read the how-to on internet connection sharing, but I am getting no love for an internet connection

My set up that I am trying to get to work is as follows:

[Ubuntu desktop] - Ethernet Cable - [Windows XP laptop] - Wireless Connection - [Wireless Router] - [ADSL modem] - [La la land]

Is there any way to get my Ubuntu box to recognize the wireless card on my XP laptop, and use it? I have tried to turn my laptop into a Gateway, and it still will not even see the laptop.

I'm quite new to Ubuntu, obviously. It would be much easier to experiment with if I can get a connection from my room and not have to haul the desktop to my router and hard wire it.
    It may very well be your Windows machine. I had a similar problem but mine was all wired and using Vista as a server. I don't know if XP is the same (in fact I think it's not) but I had to go into the connection sharing center and add both my USB (to my DSL modem) and my ethernet (to Ubuntu) to a bridge. I then had to go into the properties of the bridge and update (which gave me a warning that the updated driver was not signed but I did it anyways) and that unlocked a lot of what was the problem.

Can you ping XP from Ubuntu? I used http://www.majorgeeks.com/PingEasy_d5696.html from my Windows machine. You can ping an entire range (compared to just one address) and find the IP address of your modem and XP and possibly your Ubuntu box.