Thread: [SOLVED] KVM switch

Beans

[SOLVED] KVM switch

Hi all, can any one recommend a good kvm switch? I'm running my computer with a nvidia 7600 (i think it's something like that) and my wife is running a brand new vista box with a acer x223w 22 inch lcd display. The display is "fuzzy" when running thru the kvm but is perfect when connected directly to either of the pc's I'm looking for one that supports PS2 mouse and keyboard connections and is rated for high resolution ie:1680x1050. Also I'd prefer to keep the price somewhat reasonable.

Thanks

Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: KVM switch

I would suggest checking you video cables for broken wires, or high resistance and just replace the cables.

I've had a D-link 4 port KVM for years, I got a very good deal on it, but it didn't come with any cables, I bought the video cables and made my own mouse and keybaord cables.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

check eBay and/or New Egg.

A DVI/HDMI KVM is going to cost you! I have one from IOGEAR that is DVI/ps2 with analog sound .. works off a push button switch rather than doing a double click on the scroll lock key. It does not come cheap .. mine was 109 US from New Egg on sale, but I run 64 2.8 dual core Windows box and a 8.10 box through it .. pushing wireless keyboard and mouse. (on mine, I had to make a separate DIGITAL sound out control switch because THAT is what I use.) Have a 24" wide screen cinema view HP monitor.

A standard KVM with VGA connectors will run a LOT less .. under 30 bucks in most cases (I have a pair of them at other work station locations.) (again, IOGEAR.) You can get them both with and without sound .. and those are KEYBOARD switched.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

in case this scenario works for you:

my monitor has a dvi and vga input, so I've plugged an older machine in with the vga cable, the newwer computer with a dvi cable, then used synergy to use just one keyboard and mouse. I had originally used it at work for a multiple display situation where having 3 keyboards on the desk was getting cumbersome. It may not fit your needs but its worth a mention just in case. Switch between displays with the 'source' button on the front of the monitor, and move the mouse to the left or right of the screen to get to the other machine.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Beans

thanks for the sugestions everyone, but i ended up going to best-buy and getting a "Iogear Micro PS/2 KVM Switch" it works great on my wife's vista pc but still not great on my ubuntu box. with that said, my computer crashed today and i had to do a fresh install. i ended up installing 8.04 because it gives you way more options when it comes to choosing display options. i'll keep messing with the display options and will star a new thread if i don't make any progress. thanks again everyone