Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a netbook?

Beans
    Hidden!

Recommend a netbook?

Hi,

I'm looking for a netbook to take travelling, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas which suits my needs.

What I'm looking for is:
    Cheap.
    Doesn't have to be the latest or flashest model.
    Good battery life.
    Preferable SSD (even 2 GB is enough).
    Run linux/ubuntu.
    Possibly able to run compositing in kde4.

I've found a HP 2133 for 199 pounds. That sounds good, except that the battery life is only about 2.5 hours. It comes with a 120 GB HDD, so I'm guessing an SSD would be more power efficient. Am I wrong there?

Thanks for any pointers.

Beans

Re: Recommend a netbook?

You have to ask yourself if you need that much storage space on a netbook? A SSD has alot of advantages for netbooks/laptops, fewer moving parts so less prone to breakage and I think that translates to better heat/power usage too?
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I just recently bought the Asus EEE pc 901 and it is awesome. tigerdirect had a deal in November for the 901 for only 350 plus free shipping. its great, has 12gb storage, Intel atom, 8.9 inch screen, wireless N, webcam, 1gb ram, etc. the thing is very portable, handles web, standard def video, music, etc. I love the thing and use it constantly. come to think of it, I'm using it right now. the one downside to it might be the keyboard. I have skinny fingers but if your someone with hefty fingers you might have problems. other than that, its a great portable netbook.
    Something zero possible is nothing! oh yea, hit me up if you need help on ICQ with ubuntu....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

plus I forgot to mention up to seven hours of battery life. it has a 6-cell battery that is great for those longer trips. just wanted to throw that in....
    Something zero possible is nothing! oh yea, hit me up if you need help on ICQ with ubuntu....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Steveire View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for a netbook to take travelling, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas which suits my needs.

What I'm looking for is:
    Cheap.
    Doesn't have to be the latest or flashest model.
    Good battery life.
    Preferable SSD (even 2 GB is enough).
    Run linux/ubuntu.
    Possibly able to run compositing in kde4.

I've found a HP 2133 for 199 pounds. That sounds good, except that the battery life is only about 2.5 hours. It comes with a 120 GB HDD, so I'm guessing an SSD would be more power efficient. Am I wrong there?

Thanks for any pointers.
    Trust me you don't want a SSD drive in your notebook. The ones that they put in them are just horrible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hotweiss View Post
    Trust me you don't want a SSD drive in your notebook. The ones that they put in them are just horrible.
    How so? I'd say that's exactly what you want in a netbook, and the only problem with the ones they tend to ship are small sizes (which is why I got the biggest one Dell offered when I got my Mini...)
    With an SSD, most netbooks have no moving parts, making them truly portable and much more resistant to damage.

Mini 9: Higher price, but it's fast, four hour battery life, no moving parts, comes with Ubuntu lpia preinstalled.
    Last edited by klange; December 28th, 2008 at 04:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

get what im talking to you on now an ACER ASPIRE 0NE im using the 120gb model and with afull install of ubuntu 8.10 and its great and fast too..... batt life is roughly 2hours but just depends what you are doing too it could be more... the keyboard is good ..you will have to install through usb but that is easy enough just google unetbootin and the rest is easy......really hope you choose it you wont be dissapointedand its down to £200
    using.... ACER ASPIRE ONE and ACER ASPIRE 5332
    running.... Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah and you dont really want an ssd drive as it will wear quickly,well unless you format it at ext2 but this makes your install complicated
    using.... ACER ASPIRE ONE and ACER ASPIRE 5332
    running.... Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

It seems the magazines like the MSI Wind and the new ASUS EEE PC with the bigger screen and keyboard the best. I would get the XP one with the bigger hard drive and more ram and install Linux on it personally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast