Thread: Playing WMA tracks on Amarok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Playing WMA tracks on Amarok

I like Amarok. However, it has only gotten hold of the mp3 tracks in my music library, and ignored the many more wma files.

I see from the Ubuntu Help/Restricted Formats page that the problem is probably to do with not have the appropriate codecs installed.

It says that I need to have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed to play wma files. But I've got that installed already!

However, I've just noticed that Amarok is a KDE application. So does that mean that I need to install kubuntu-restricted-extras as well as the ubuntu variant? Won't they clash/conflict?
    Laptop1: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 2515, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD (2 x NTFS parts), Window$ Vista Home Premium
    USB HDD (usually connected to Laptop1): 80Gb total, 2Gb Linux-swap, 20Gb Linux-root (Ubuntu 10.10), 3.6Gb Linux-home, 50Gb NTFS

Beans

Re: Playing WMA tracks on Amarok

Install libxine1-ffmpeg, that will take care of wma in amarok except if they're wma lossless. For that you also need w32codecs, available from link below

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
    For hardy (8.04
    http://packages.medibuntu.org/hardy/w32codecs.html

For intrepid (8.10
    http://packages.medibuntu.org/intrepid/w32codecs.html

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Install libxine1-ffmpeg, that will take care of wma in amarok except if they're wma lossless. For that you also need w32codecs, available from link below

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg
    For intrepid (8.10
    http://packages.medibuntu.org/intrepid/w32codecs.html
    Thanks, but both of those packages were already installed and Amarok isn't finding wma files.
    Laptop1: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 2515, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD (2 x NTFS parts), Window$ Vista Home Premium
    USB HDD (usually connected to Laptop1): 80Gb total, 2Gb Linux-swap, 20Gb Linux-root (Ubuntu 10.10), 3.6Gb Linux-home, 50Gb NTFS

Beans

I'm not sure, I don't have a wma file to test it on >.<

Edit: seems I can play wma without a problem, or a wma rip of an flv anyway. I installed kubuntu-restricted-extras
    Last edited by SuperSonic4; December 28th, 2008 at 03:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm struggling to think that my problem can be codec related because wma files play perfectly well in Banshee.

So, if I install the package (metapackage?) kubuntu-restricted-extras, there won't be some horrid conflict somewhere down the line?

Beans

thanxs works great.. I use it on ubuntu 10.04