Page 11 of 147 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy Re: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

I'm having a problem with F@H on my Athlon XP 2200+. It just won't do any work. This is what I get from the log file.
    Code:
    [18:58:07] Writing local files
    [18:58:07] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [18:58:07] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps  (0)
    [19:00:37] Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [19:00:37] Going to send back what have done.
    [19:00:37] logfile size: 8252
    [19:00:37] - Writing 8788 bytes of core data to disk...
    [19:00:37]   ... Done.
    Over. And over. And over.

Does this have something to do with the processor? I know it's not that fast, but it doesn't seem to be overheating or anything. This probably is why I have so many workunits next to my name on the sites page - I think the computer has been downloading work units left and right and not finishing anything! What do I do? (This particular computer runs Windows XP, while my main works just fine, running Ubuntu.)
    Help us learn about protiens and cure diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers with Folding@Home TeamUbuntu

...and listen to the Music of the Night!

Beans

Re: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

Installed following the wiki instructions and joined the team. Is there a way to view the progress of the workgroups while running the daemon?

Edit: I guess there are log files showing everything. That'll work.
    Last edited by jasay; January 14th, 2006 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by o_fortuna
    I'm having a problem with F@H on my Athlon XP 2200+. It just won't do any work. This is what I get from the log file.
    Code:
    [18:58:07] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [18:58:07] Completed 0 out of 500000 steps  (0)
    [19:00:37] Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [19:00:37] Going to send back what have done.
    [19:00:37] logfile size: 8252
    [19:00:37] - Writing 8788 bytes of core data to disk...
    [19:00:37]   ... Done.
    Over. And over. And over.

Does this have something to do with the processor? I know it's not that fast, but it doesn't seem to be overheating or anything. This probably is why I have so many workunits next to my name on the sites page - I think the computer has been downloading work units left and right and not finishing anything! What do I do? (This particular computer runs Windows XP, while my main works just fine, running Ubuntu.)
    I have here an old Athlon-XP too which is doing fine (using version 5.04beta) Did you try to increase the verbosity level, i.e. to start the client like
    Code:
    ./FAH504-Linux.exe -verbosity 9
    for more detailed output. Maybe you get some helpful error message than. It's at least worth a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, whatever. I tried to use the new 5.04beta (after uninstalling the old one of course) and, two minutes later, the computer froze. If I remember correctly, a long while ago I installed Google Compute on the computer, and the same thing happened. There's probably something wrong with the hardware (considering only 480 of my 512 megabytes of RAM are detected). I won't worry about it, though. The X2 is blazing fast, it gets 2 jobs done 5x faster anyway.
    Help us learn about protiens and cure diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers with Folding@Home TeamUbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by o_fortuna
    There's probably something wrong with the hardware (considering only 480 of my 512 megabytes of RAM are detected).
    Is your computer a laptop? If so, I would guess that your onboard video card is stealing 32 MB from you RAM. This is how it works on my laptop, and I must say I felt a little jipped when I found out that the video card had no ram of it's own.
    Please consider joining TeamUbuntu!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoldingAtHomeTeamUbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm a little nervous about my system here. It's an AMD Sempron 2200+ and Folding@Home always makes it run at 100% CPU, is this normal/safe?

Beans

Folding@home runs on your spare cycles, which is the ones that otherwise wouldn't
    be used, which is the most of them if the computer is idle
    You could always open up gnome-system-monitor (or equivalent) and checking it's
    nice value, if it's zero or higher you got no problems then it runs "in the background".
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chiefofthejojos
    I'm a little nervous about my system here. It's an AMD Sempron 2200+ and Folding@Home always makes it run at 100% CPU, is this normal/safe?
    Your CPU is supposed to run at 100% with Folding@Home. That is what the program does is it uses otherwise idle CPU cycles. The program is structured so that when you use your computer, the F@H processes run in the background so you do not have a performance hit. Whatever you are deoing has first priority so the program either slows or pauses until you are done and then resumes. 100% CPU ususage means that it is working correctly.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by chiefofthejojos
    Is your computer a laptop? If so, I would guess that your onboard video card is stealing 32 MB from you RAM. This is how it works on my laptop, and I must say I felt a little jipped when I found out that the video card had no ram of it's own.
    Actually, it's a desktop, but now that I think of it, it does have a cheapo integrated S3 graphics card that has 32 megabytes of memory. I had thought that was separate, since I had another computer that was the same but with a slower processor (and it ran F@H just fine - got 6500 points out of it, just not for TeamUbuntu ), and that computer always (as far as I remember) had 512 megs of available memory. Of course, after a few months I installed a real card, so that might have reclaimed my memory and I just forgot.

Anyway, this (current) computer never did anything with F@H anyway. It took five days working on its first unit, then its time expired. After that, it kept freezing. Wierd, and that's why I think it's a hardware issue, since my old computer was practically the same hardware (both were eMachines too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    100% CPU ususage means that it is working correctly.
    I see, that makes sense. But is it safe for my laptop to run at 100% all the time? won't that burn out the cpu?

Page 11 of 147 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast