Page 49 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Folding@Home Team Ubuntu recruiting notice

I've just joined the foldingathome team (I think) How can I check if everything is working fine?
    (hope I can help. My machine is only a PIII 800 with 512Mb Ram)

F Cocquyt: Your machine will be fine for folding. Welcome to TeamUbuntu.

erik_boi: I joined the EOC forums and I am just waiting to manual admin approval so I can post about the stat discrepency. I am interesting in finding out what might cause such a thing.

Help us learn about protiens and cure diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers with Folding@Home Join TeamUbuntu
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoldingAtHome

BigDave708 Guest

Count me in. I just installed the program on all of my computers. I don't know how much of a difference I'll make but I suppose every last little bit helps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm in! Got two P4's running the client now. Quick question though, how long until I show up on the team ubuntu stats board? Does it wait until it completes a unit or does it just take a day or two to register? Excellent usage of spare CPU cycles!

Regards,
    Stew2
    Last edited by Stew2; August 1st, 2006 at 01:00 AM.

To show up it take your first completed workunit plus approximately 3 hours for the stats to update.
    Help us learn about protiens and cure diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, cystic fibrosis, BSE (Mad Cow disease), an inherited form of emphysema, and even many cancers with Folding@Home Join TeamUbuntu

Exclamation HowTo setup Folding@Home on Ubuntu

I just did this for another thread so I though I would cross post it here as it is relevant. Almost all of this information is already in this thread, but this puts it in one easy to read place. Also I have just complied info from elsewhere and I take no credit for anything that is here (except the hints at the end that is from a previous post of mine in this thread). Maybe we could add this to the FoldingAtHome page in the wiki? If so I would be willing to do that. I could also put together some stuff on Dynamic Sig graphics that are available and where. This forum doesn't allow graphics in the sig, but you can insert a image manually at the end of your post

Quote Originally Posted by Stew2 View Post
    Could you send me a link to a simple install script for the folding program? I tried it once before and messed up the install. I would be happy to contribute my spare CPU cycles! Thanks
    1. Download the finstall http://www.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall either with some browser and upload it to this box with sftp/ftp or if wget is available type:
    Code:
    wget -c http://www.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall
    2. Make the script runnable:
    Code:
    chmod +x finstall
    3. Start it:
    Code:
    ./finstall
    After the client is installed You can start/stop/... FAH client with ./foldingathome/folding script. For Example(s)

Code:
    ~/foldingathome/folding start

or

~/foldingathome/folding stop

or

~/foldingathome/folding status
    For me this was all I needed as it automatically created the init scripts I needed to start after reboot. However the init scripts don't seem to work for everyone, so if you need to do it manually:

1. Make a file called foldingathome in the /etc/init.d directory:
    Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/init.d/foldingathome
    2. Paste this in:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # /etc/init.d/foldingathome for Ubuntu
    # Start the F@H service.

pushd /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/foldingathome/
    su YOUR_USERNAME_HERE -c "screen -d -m ./folding start"
    popd
    3. Save and exit

Here are a couple more hints to make things go smoother:
    1. Pick a username before you start, to see if your username is in use visit this page first http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html. There is a search box at the top that you can use to see if your selected username is in use.
    2. Have you team number ready, it is question two right after your username. You should use 45104 for this.
    3. If you have an old computer you should run deadlineness work units. To select the option to do this select yes when asked if you want to set advanced options, then continue to select the defaults until you are asked about deadlineless workunits and select yes.
    4. Finally here is a link to the original thread for using the finstall script from the folding community forums, it is where I found my answers and definitely the easiest way to get this working under Dapper Drake. http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=2283
    Last edited by T313C0mun1s7; August 1st, 2006 at 06:01 AM. Reason: error in init.d script

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sure, add it to the wiki. I wrote my script (the one in the wiki now) before I knew about finstall. I haven't tried finstall, because I understand mine better, obviously.
    Help yourself: Search the community docs or try other resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Spencer
    Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
    Let science use your computer when you aren't: Folding@Home.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotta View Post
    Sure, add it to the wiki. I wrote my script (the one in the wiki now) before I knew about finstall. I haven't tried finstall, because I understand mine better, obviously.
    Done, I added it as an alternative install under your primary install script. I remember that I had tried your script first and I did not know if it had worked or not, and I was a TOTAL nube to folding. So I deleted the folder that it installed into and used the method I posted. It worked the first time and was a 3 step process I didn't need to think about. Since then I have seen others have trouble with the method I posted but got yours to work. Either way it seems peoples' mileage vary - so why not have two easy to find methods and let them choose?

Anyway, It is there. I hope it makes sense.

rattlerviper Guest

HELP!!!!

I installed via the alternate method from the wiki. Followed these instructions...
    1. Make a file called foldingathome in the /etc/init.d directory:
    Code:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/foldingathome

2. Paste this in:
    Code:

#!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/foldingathome for Ubuntu # Start the F@H service. pushd /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/foldingathome/ su YOUR_USERNAME_HERE -c "screen -d -m ./folding start" popd

3. Save and exit
    Changing /your_username_here to everyone which is the name I log onto the pc into ubuntu with. It still won't auto start the folding at home client after I reboot. I need to get it so this works automatically, as I have a windows user that uses the computer sometimes who thinks if a computer is not rebooted every hour or 2 it will crash. I hate the windows mentallity that such a thing should be considered normal.

How do I get the client to autostart?
    Thnks

Quote Originally Posted by rattlerviper View Post
    HELP!!!!

2. Paste this in:
    Code:

#!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/foldingathome for Ubuntu # Start the F@H service. pushd /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/foldingathome/ su YOUR_USERNAME_HERE -c "screen -d -m ./folding start" popd
    You don't have it all run together on one line like that do you? It should look more like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # /etc/init.d/foldingathome for Ubuntu
    # Start the F@H service.

pushd /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/foldingathome/
    su YOUR_USERNAME_HERE -c "screen -d -m ./folding start"
    popd
    That is how it is formatted on the wiki.

Thanks for pointing out that it is not working however, I forgot to say that you need to make a symlink into the /etc/rc2.d directory:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/foldingathome /etc/rc2.d/S99fah
    I will add that to the wiki right now. I think that will fix it. If not let me know.
    Last edited by T313C0mun1s7; August 3rd, 2006 at 03:18 AM.

Page 49 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast