Thread: Does my CD/DVD Drive just read or also write? ( TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-L632D)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Does my CD/DVD Drive just read or also write? ( TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-L632D)

What types of CDs and/or DVDs does my drive use? (R+ and R- What does this mean?) Can I write CDs and also write DVDs with this drive?

When I go to System>Preferences>Hardware Information
    I see this: CD/DVDW TS-L632D

My computer is a Gazelle Value Model:gazv4 But I do not have the standard drive that came with the system, I chose one of the upgrades to DVD instead of the default CD.

So I don't remember what the drive does since I still haven't used it much (I still have never played a DVD on it)

So, can I write and read to CDs AND also write and read to DVDs? One sided AND two sided? R+ and or R-?

Any other info I should need would greatly help Thanks

Beans

Re: Does my CD/DVD Drive just read or also write? ( TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-L632D)

Your drive can burn anything:
    CD-R's and RW's.
    DVD-R's and RW's (Including Dual-Layer)
    DVD+R's and RW's (Including DL)
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just dont make the same mistake I made and saw a stack of 100 DVD-R for sale for 880 yen...like 10 dollars and buy them right up.

Apparently Linux does not support this thing that was big in 2001 called CPRM (google it) but here in Japan the feds dont like Piracy so it stuck around a little.

They work just fine on Mac OS 10.6 and burning with Toast.

Ubuntu couldn't even mount the disk.

Beans
    Distro

Wow thanks. Is CPRM usually listed on the label? I plan to but from amazon, and I never had even heard of CPRM till now. Good to know that this might cause some problems on Linux machines.

Is there a way to know if its CPRM? Is this only on "-R" or also "+R"

** Also after some more reading, does this drive support DVD-RAM? The Wikipedia Article specifically mentions the TS-L632D as sometimes not including DVD-RAM support. (I'd heard this option is good for computer HD backup which I plan to do)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM
    Last edited by DesiArnez6; December 29th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, CPRM is right on the disk. The DVD's I got were labeled DVD-Video CPRM and I didnt even notice. I was just shocked that I could get 100 for $10.

As far as DVD-RAM goes I don't know as I've never used one. But I have used DVD-+RW and they are essentially the same but DVD-RAM has built in error testing. Therefore cost more.

DVD-RAM also writes very similar to a hard drive.
    Last edited by Lee_Machine; December 29th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Very good to know. I'll be sure to look out for the CPRM label and avoid it.

If I have any experience with DVD-RAM I'll be sure to post it, as I may try it soon.