Thread: Centrino 2 compatibility

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Centrino 2 compatibility

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new laptop and I remember a friend of mine having a laptop with the Centrino sticker on it and he said Ubuntu worked well out of the box with it, which I assume were because Intel supplied drivers for all the chips required for the Centrino brand.

My question is, if I get a laptop with the Centrino 2 (with 802.11n compatibility etc.) sticker am I likely to have no problem with wifi/networking/sound? I'll probably get an nvidia card in it so I don't think I'll have major problems there. I would get the Intel integrated graphics since I know they're well supported but I fancy some gaming on a Windows partition so that option doesn't really work. Ideally I'd just like to buy a laptop and be happy to know it should run Linux well as it's been a while since I've been able to do much Linux as it's not that well supported with my Macbook.

Thanks people,
    Jack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Centrino 2 compatibility

The Centrino 2 technology should be supported just fine, lots of new computers on the market use this and some even come pre-installed with Ubuntu. If you decide on a specific model laptop, ask the community what they know about support for it and any problems that may exist. You shouldn't have problems with sound, networking, or wifi. However, you should check that the wireless card is compatible, but you need to know the specific make/model first.
    Sorry if those answers seem vague, but so are your questions. Specifics help