Thread: Samba system installation

Beans

Question Samba system installation

I am new to Ubuntu. I am using VMware Fusion on an Intel Imac and recently installed Ubuntu on my virtual machine. Before switching to VMware/Ubuntu I was using Parallels/SuSe also on my Imac. The latter system included all features of the Samba system. I now noticed that only some features of Samba were available on the VMware/Ubuntu combination. Can I download a complete version of Samba into Ubuntu from somewhere and install it in a simple way?

I would be greatful for any advice.

Beans

Re: Samba system installation

You can install samba in ubuntu. Use the package manager or run 'sudo apt-get install samba' from the command line.

Beans

does the ubntu machine have internet access?? if so you could setup samba like this http://www.prash-babu.com/2008/05/ho...-in-linux.html

Beans

Dear Superprash2003,

your reply was most helpful. Even more helpful would be if you could send me a smb.config file which I could start using and later modifying as I gain experience. My situation is:

virtual Ubuntu machine sitting on iMac sharing the latter's network
    an eMac connected to the iMac by cable network
    a PC running Windows XP also connected to the iMac by cable network
    a Mac notebook communicating via WLAN.

Sounds complex doesn't it? I am a retired ex-Shell petroleum engineer doing some computing.

Best regards from snow-covered Austria.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since Ubuntu 8.04, you can configure a working samba installation without having to directly edit the samba config file. Have a look a my Ubuntu - XP networking guides:

www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/