Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer Overheating?

Beans

Re: Computer Overheating?

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_42 View Post
    My RAM was acting up earlier, but that was because I didn't have the two new sticks seated properly. The resets aren't entirely random, they happen when there are fairly intense 3D graphics applications running. It's only happened to me twice, but that's only because I've not run any games after the second time for fear of another overheat.
    Another thought-you could try googling to see if Windows keeps a log file of crashes....Mac and Linux do-but they're *nix.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Remember, every laptop has this problem. Some moreso than others-depending on how small they are and how powerful they are. Just because you're spending money on better hardware doesn't mean your issue will go away-in fact odds are good it will be worse.
    Yeah, I was thinking of getting a netbook next with an SSD, which should be better with heat (from what I hear).
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_42 View Post
    My RAM was acting up earlier, but that was because I didn't have the two new sticks seated properly. The resets aren't entirely random, they happen when there are fairly intense 3D graphics applications running. It's only happened to me twice, but that's only because I've not run any games after the second time for fear of another overheat.
    Sometimes, RAM only has problems if it's reached a certain temperature. Also, sometimes the error is in a high sector of RAM, where it won't be a problem until RAM usage gets very high.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    Sometimes, RAM only has problems if it's reached a certain temperature. Also, sometimes the error is in a high sector of RAM, where it won't be a problem until RAM usage gets very high.
    I guess I'll run memtest86+ overnight, then.
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Beans

Alright, I started the latest CD version of memtest86+ before I left for a movie, and by the time I got back my computer had shut down. What, exactly, does this mean? Did it find some sort of fault with the RAM?

e:I'm a retard. I forgot to plug the CPU fan back in after I swapped PSUs. xD
    Last edited by elmer_42; December 27th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.
    archlinux \\ amd+ati \\ subtle \\ website

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123