Thread: Ubuntu won't boot from fresh install on Mac Mini

Beans

Ubuntu won't boot from fresh install on Mac Mini

Hey. Searching for an answer to this question turned out to be rather time consuming, so I thought I'd just go ahead and ask directly.

A got a new mac mini, just for running ubuntu. I don't care to have OS X on it - I already have OS X desktop imac. This thing will be used as an experimental server and a test platform to see how my web sites appear in Ubuntu.

I installed 64-bit ubuntu to it. When the partitioning step came up, I selected the "use entire disk" option instead of the default. It completed the install. Now though, it won't boot from the hard drive; the mini doesn't see anything to boot from (unless I have the install DVD in there).

I know little about booting. From the little I've read, EFI is the culprit and I'm probably at fault for having choose the "use entire disk" option and wiping out the EFI partition. All I really want to know is what should I do now? I want a bootable copy of Ubuntu installed without OS X, and right now I can't boot from anything other then a CD/DVD.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu won't boot from fresh install on Mac Mini

You can try to reinstall grub as described here. If that doesn´t work I think it will be better and faster for you to ask on Apple users subforum.You can find it here.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu won't boot from fresh install on Mac Mini

Thank you, that first link looks useful. I'll have to try it again tomorrow if I have more time.