Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THIS is what Ubuntu's top panel should look like

Beans

THIS is what Ubuntu's top panel should look like

It should be transparent like that. Not the solid colour that it is. (Yes, I know that Compiz can adjust it, but there is a shadow left behind.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: THIS is what Ubuntu's top panel should look like

i agree on the shadow, you should be able to customize it easier without having to read into tons of instructions..
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

While it does look nice; I imagine that many prefer a solid colour, and clearly-defined border.

Beans
    Distro

+1

I certainly belong to those preferring a solid colour.

Beans

Why all the bells and whistles?
    You use a computer to do work, play games etc.. Not look at fancy top panels?
    Stock [boring] top panel for me

Looks nice, though!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thvan View Post
    Why all the bells and whistles?
    You use a computer to do work, play games etc.. Not look at fancy top panels?
    Stock [boring] top panel for me

Looks nice, though!
    i like the default panel too, but as i said in my previous post you should be able to customize it easier without having to follow very long tutorials..
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The fact that this thread even exists points to a very serious problem in Ubuntu. In Kubuntu, or just about any other Linux OS, you can do what ever the h*** you want with your panel. Mines on the bottom and transparent at the moment but I can change it in about 30 seconds to whatever I want.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No matter what is used as the default, some will be happy and some will be unhappy.

In a group of people as diverse (in their desire for customization) as those of us in the Linux camp, I'd say the number of people who like a default will be greatly outnumbered by those who don't.

You find what you presented to have a pleasing aesthetic. To the next guy it may be something he will curse about while he is customizing away from that look.

As far as the difficulty in customizing the Unity DE (which allows little customizing because it is a step away from the desktop toward the low-power/high-efficiency tablets that will come), I have this to say:

You are effectively customizing your DE to your liking when you add another DE (say KDE) and use it. Or download the KDE spin from Kubuntu.org to begin with. Remember, it's Kubuntu.

Don't like Unity because you have less ability to customize it? Use a different DE. The Ubuntu Police will not crash your door down and arrest you.
    Last edited by QIII; January 7th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    The fact that this thread even exists points to a very serious problem in Ubuntu. In Kubuntu, or just about any other Linux OS, you can do what ever the h*** you want with your panel. Mines on the bottom and transparent at the moment but I can change it in about 30 seconds to whatever I want.
    this is exactly what i am talking about, sure some will like the default, but you should have the option to change it within a few seconds to whatever you like..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    +1. Anyone who cares about customization should be using KDE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast