Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New project Grdc (GTK+/Gnome Remote Desktop Client) - will it compiles in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: New project Grdc (GTK+/Gnome Remote Desktop Client) - will it compiles in Ubuntu?

Guys! I just put a new release 0.3.0 on-line! Most of the requested features should be there, but there are still some are left for future work, for example, scaling... this is not easy one but should be possible, probably I will need some time to get it done.

But anyway, hope you enjoy the new version! Any feedback is appreciate.

Beans

Re: New project Grdc (GTK+/Gnome Remote Desktop Client) - will it compiles in Ubuntu?

Very Cool, I have 0.3.0 running and I'm still amazed how fast it is. You can almost watch video with it over LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by llyzs View Post
    Thanks guys for your comments!

o start with a configered server from command line or launcher: this is a supported feature in the current stable release, although it's no documented... try
    $ grdc -c ~/.grdc/foo.grdc
    Worked, thank you. I've found that the profiles in ~/.grdc can be renamed too to make them easier recognizable.

o specify the initial window mode to not be forced to fullscreen: I am working on a new feature to save the last view mode, this should be what you need.
    Yes, works great. Only one thing, when switching back from fullscreen to scrolled window mode the window state isn't fully restored, it's always maximized.

o allow to change colors/compression during a session: Not sure if libvncclient support this, will try that later.
    Works very well. I couldn't try it over a low bandwith connection yet though. The lowest setting with what looks like 256 colors may still be too high. I used to go down to 16 colors at times which looks ugly but not having to wait for screen refreshes outweighs that by far.
    But I don't think rdesktop can support
    rdesktop may not even need this, it's already plenty fast over low bandwith connection.

One more:
    The menu entry is hard to distinguish from vinagres "Remote Desktop Viewer" and I prefer to have the menus sorted by application name. What do think about changing it to "Grdc Remote Desktop Client"? Is that too redundant?

I'm going to use it already, at least for the times when I don't need the clipboard too badly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi!

I wish I could test&use Grdc, it looks very promising, but I'm having some difficulties:

I compiled it successfully, but there wasn't VNC support. So I compiled libvncserver also, then recompiled Grdc and viola, VNC is in the connection combo box. So it is a OK now.

Yesterday I tested VNC and then I runned into another problem, I cannot see the other desktop. VNC looks connected, I can see cursor moving at servers display, but in Grdc, I see only blank window background. Some issue with libvnc maybe? Any ideas, please?

Beans

For me all new features work correctly.
    But I encountered a bug (possibly, but I don't think it's on my side). Sometime when I enter the active connection window and try to type something in the 'guest' system it doesn't type anything, or when I click on a folder to open it, it opens the properties window (while connecting to Windows XP). It looks like the ALT or CTRL key is pressed all the time. I must hit them a few times to turn it off. But on my local desktop this keys don't seem to be pressed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Congrats for the project. I also use terminal server quite frequently and some the annoyances you complain are really there and they are... well, annoying
    Ubuntu Team surely might take a look here to improve usability.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marmuta View Post
    Yes, works great. Only one thing, when switching back from fullscreen to scrolled window mode the window state isn't fully restored, it's always maximized.
    Yes I actually have the same problem with you and I will put in an enhancement for it later.

Works very well. I couldn't try it over a low bandwith connection yet though. The lowest setting with what looks like 256 colors may still be too high. I used to go down to 16 colors at times which looks ugly but not having to wait for screen refreshes outweighs that by far.
    Currently it's not really 256 colors, it's actually just picture quality and compress level... I will probably have to take a deeper look into libvncserver later to get more control over color depths.

One more:
    The menu entry is hard to distinguish from vinagres "Remote Desktop Viewer" and I prefer to have the menus sorted by application name. What do think about changing it to "Grdc Remote Desktop Client"? Is that too redundant?
    Actually I would like to change, but I am just not sure if this is the right thing to do, or something the Gnome team wanted... It seems most Gnome apps' menu is just that style.

I'm going to use it already, at least for the times when I don't need the clipboard too badly.
    In what cases you will have problem using clipboard? I do have problem if I tries to copy/paste string that contains international characters. Are you in the same situation?

Beans

In what cases you will have problem using clipboard? I do have problem if I tries to copy/paste string that contains international characters. Are you in the same situation?
    I'm thinking of being able to copy on local computer and paste on the remote. Or the opposite. That would be really handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

it would be nice to also have a transprent icon for the applet. it has a gray background and it clashes with my panel color.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Actually I would like to change, but I am just not sure if this is the right thing to do, or something the Gnome team wanted... It seems most Gnome apps' menu is just that style.
    I'm not sure either. The Gnome HIG allow for that though. E.g. The GIMP -> GIMP Image Editor, which is btw. kinda redundant too. I appreciate what gnome is trying to do with things like "Movie Player" but a) this schema breaks if there is more than one Movie Player installed (-> MPlayer Movie Player) and b) I find myself searching the menu for "totem" too many times.

My bad, I didn't test that properly. Clipboard does in fact work, yay! Only yes, things like 'ßàáâãäåæç' get mangled. Copying that from server to the client gives '\Uffffffff\Uffffffff\Uffffffff\Uffffffff'.
    Doesn't bother me that much personally though since I'm pasting mostly shell commands.
    Last edited by marmuta; January 25th, 2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added hig reply

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogus_ub View Post
    For me all new features work correctly.
    But I encountered a bug (possibly, but I don't think it's on my side). Sometime when I enter the active connection window and try to type something in the 'guest' system it doesn't type anything, or when I click on a folder to open it, it opens the properties window (while connecting to Windows XP). It looks like the ALT or CTRL key is pressed all the time. I must hit them a few times to turn it off. But on my local desktop this keys don't seem to be pressed.
    Well, I believe I fixed this issue today. I can reproduce this issue in the current stable version, by connecting to VNC, then press ctrl-alt-right to switch to the next desktop, then switch back... because when you press ctrl-alt, the key event is sent to the server, but after you press right, focus is lost, then no key release event is going to be sent.

If you don't mind try the latest unstable.
    Thanks.

Vic

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast