Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 with Ubuntu 8.10: Help needed.

Beans

Question Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 with Ubuntu 8.10: Help needed.

Hi, I'm a brand new linux user who has been using all versions of Windows until yesterday. Today, I just purchased my new laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y530) and decided to go wild and format the entire hard drive with live Ubuntu 8.10 64bit disk. Now I have Ubuntu running almost perfectly. I have a few concerns and would like advanced users to help me out.

1. I don't know how to find the correct drivers for my microphone and webcam (my apologies if the language is wrong). My laptop has a built in microphone and a 1.3 Mpixel webcam. They don't seem to work.

2. Screen brightness is reversed. Function UP Arrow seems to decrease brightness while Function Down arrow increases it. This is not too much of a problem but my monitor keeps dimming automatically after boot up. Also, after certain period of inactivity (or battery use), it seems to increase brightness instead of decreasing. Is there a fix for this (for a Linux novice)?

3. I love open source programs such as Firefox, Open Office but I don't know if there is a better photo editing alternative to Gimp. I'm just too used to Photoshop and gimp seems a little unfriendly/unfamiliar.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

HD: 320 GB
    RAM: 4 GB
    Processor: Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo (2 GB)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 with Ubuntu 8.10: Help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by devrim View Post
    3. I love open source programs such as Firefox, Open Office but I don't know if there is a better photo editing alternative to Gimp. I'm just too used to Photoshop and gimp seems a little unfriendly/unfamiliar.
    Not sure what version PS you're running, but Wine might be an option:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

Beans

Hey ive got the same laptop as you
    And im looking for the same things as you, but no luck,
    You can install Wine update it to the newst version
    then after that you can install Photoshop cs2 , if u find out how to get the mic
    and webcam working pm me thanks

Beans

I just found something odd,
    if u open ekiga softphone
    the webcam works so its weird i had a look in the dmesg and i got this
    [ 12.782397] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Lenovo EasyCamera (04f2:b105)
    [ 12.786024] input: Lenovo EasyCamera as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb8/8-5/8-5:1.0/input/input8
    [ 12.809253] usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    [ 12.809291] USB Video Class driver (v0.1.0)
    so it knows its there but im not sure how to get it working in anyother programs

Beans

This thread is updated regularly. It is about the y510, but much of it applies to the y530 (there is discussion about it there):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870681

2. Screen brightness is reversed. Function UP Arrow seems to decrease brightness while Function Down arrow increases it. This is not too much of a problem but my monitor keeps dimming automatically after boot up. Also, after certain period of inactivity (or battery use), it seems to increase brightness instead of decreasing. Is there a fix for this (for a Linux novice)?
    The first two questions are addressed in this thread. For the third one, i am unsure how well PS runs in wine, if at all. The link logos34 posted seems to cover it pretty well.

nick

Beans

good news
    i found out why the mics didnt work
    in terminal do this ,
    gnome-volume-control
    then change the mic to max and then go into system>prefrences>sound
    and test the sound input
    hehe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by devrim View Post
    Hi, I'm a brand new linux user who has been using all versions of Windows until yesterday. Today, I just purchased my new laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad Y530) and decided to go wild and format the entire hard drive with live Ubuntu 8.10 64bit disk. Now I have Ubuntu running almost perfectly. I have a few concerns and would like advanced users to help me out.

1. I don't know how to find the correct drivers for my microphone and webcam (my apologies if the language is wrong). My laptop has a built in microphone and a 1.3 Mpixel webcam. They don't seem to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

HD: 320 GB
    RAM: 4 GB
    Processor: Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo (2 GB)
    Hello, I have the exact same computer model, been using Ubuntu in it since day 2. The camera works, if you want veriface, you won't have it, veriface is a windows program. Just install cheese
    sudo apt-get install cheese
    and you can test it.
    The microphone works as well, if you have already solved the sound problem, go to the sound manager and raise up the bars for front mic and front mic boost, also, on recording, raise the bars and in device, choose the capture device that best fit's you, for testing go to applications> sound and video> sound recorder.
    About the screen brightness I have come to get used, just lower the default brightness, so that won't strain your eyes when changes, and get used to the reversed buttons, though, if you come to think about it, they are not reversed because any number to the right is higher and it goes accordingly to that rule, check the bar when you press the button.

About gimp don't know much, it does what I need.
    Just left to say, enjoy it
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans

hey ive installed chese but its not working
    ekoi soft phone does thoe

Beans

ok den
    its working now
    some thing els was using the video driver
    evil

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great, then. Don't be afraid of asking. I also had a few bumps in the road, but mine is working at 100% I'm in love with it.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast